PDA

View Full Version : Impala Dash

Morkel Erasmus
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
During our recent trip to the Kruger National Park, I came up early one morning to a spot close to a natural waterhole where I was on a very low level relative to a herd of impala who were making their way towards the water.

While I was photographing them, some of the antelopes became excited and started leaping, dashing and bounding past me. I tried to get a focus on one of them and track him through the small mopani shrubs that dotted the landscape.

I was very happy with this frame. The angle is nice and low, the autumn colours came out nicely, the pose is just right for me and the light is sweet. I know it's a tad tight at the top, but it's edge-of-frame out-of-camera there. I only cropped slightly from the bottom and LHS.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 @ 1/1600 SS @ ISO-800

Stu Bowie
09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Mork, this is one shot that Ive always wished for, and your angle here is even better than a side on capture. Good DOF for F/5.6, and you have captured the extended front legs nicely. Having a touch more room on top would have been the cherry.:w3 Having said that, not easy getting this in the frame. Well done.

Marc Mol
09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Agree with Stuart, the angle and light direction are first rate here Morkel, the D3s/500VR combo really come into it's own here. Pity about space above, but understand you make the most of the opportunity as presented.
Can you confirm you're using shutter ONLY & AF button ONLY here Morkel? ........And if so how are you coming to grips with it?
TFS

Tom Redd
09-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Beautiful capture, Morkel. I agree with what has been said about the space above, the only thing I wonder, is any way to recover some of the shadow on the face slightly without introducing too much noise? Just a minor issue. I would be proud of this shot for sure. TFS.

Steve Canuel
09-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Excellent IQ on this one Morkel. My first thought on viewing this regarding the lack of space on top was that as posted, he looks like he's leaping "over" the grass rather than flying "through" the air if there was more space above (if that makes sense).

Rachel Hollander
09-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Morkel - great pov and angle here. With the extended legs you really get the sense of the leap. Tightness on top aside, this is great. Looks like you're enjoying the new equipment.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Hey Morkel,
Even with the tightness this one is top notch! I would only want a hair more room up top but even as presented.....this is fantastic!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Roger Clark
09-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Morkel,

Very impressive! I agree with Roman: a little room at the top would have been great, but still a stunning image and I would not change a thing.

Roger

DanWalters
09-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Great action! Beautiful light and very sharp!

Steve Kaluski
09-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Well done Morkel, like the outstretched front legs, another vote for more room up top. :w3

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
09-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to view and the kind comments, folks! :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Can you confirm you're using shutter ONLY & AF button ONLY here Morkel? ........And if so how are you coming to grips with it?

Hey Marc - yes indeed I have been using that setting and have come to grips with it quite nicely :t3

Dumay de Boulle
09-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Everything works for me. I do feel it needs a bit more space on top though!

Harshad Barve
09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
space on top
otherwise winner
TFS

Paul Taylor
09-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Great stuff and a fantastic position to get yourself in. Got to say this made me say "wow!" when I saw it. I couldn't disagree with your own critique.

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your kind yet honest comments Dumay, Harshad and Paul...

Roger Clark
09-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I have the add, the Impala looks like superman flying, Super Impala, faster than a leaping lion, or a running cheetah!

:w3

Roger

Ofer Levy
09-05-2011, 02:01 AM
This is fantastic ! I guess you consider sending it to a major competition this is why you haven't added the room at the top. This is a winning image IMHO !!!

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2011, 04:43 AM
I have the add, the Impala looks like superman flying, Super Impala, faster than a leaping lion, or a running cheetah!

Indeed Roger! :Whoa!::bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Many thanks for your kind words, Ofer...

I guess you consider sending it to a major competition this is why you haven't added the room at the top.

Mmhmm...I might just...:w3

Pieter de Waal
09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Excellent Morkel, good IQ as mentioned and also like the foreground grass. I recall how excited you were with this one, good to meet up with you in KNP.

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Excellent Morkel, good IQ as mentioned and also like the foreground grass. I recall how excited you were with this one, good to meet up with you in KNP.

It was good meeting you guys as well, Pieter! I hope you had a good trip and came back with some keepers...:Whoa!:

Robert Amoruso
09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Though it is tight at top I think that helps to increase the drama of the image here.

Morkel Erasmus
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks Robert...my thoughts too...normally I feel very strongly about images that are VERY tight at the top like this one...:S3: