PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Marching Sanderling.

Karl Egressy
09-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Cloned out a piece of garbage from right under the raised foot.
This was taken earlier during the day on Monday.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS 7D
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/1250
Av 7.1
Spot Metering
ISO 200
EF400mm f/5.6L USM

Nancy Bell
09-01-2011, 09:47 AM
The lowered head postion and the high stepping leg really make this image stand out! I would consider cropping some of the bottom off to just above your signature to focus the eye a bit more on the intensity of the posture. That's a great green background.

Luis Villablanca
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I love the leg up and feather detail. Great background too.
I wish I could see the other foot though and I agree about having less room below the bird and maybe more above.

gail bisson
09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Very neat pose. I would definitely take some off the bottom and if you have it, add more room at the top. The highlight in the eye seems to have a purple tinge to it? Is it just me that is seeing this? Image quality excellent.
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I love the leg up and feather detail. Great background too.
I wish I could see the other foot though and I agree about having less room below the bird and maybe more above.

Thank Luis.
I new someone would say this in this forum.
Unfortunately you either have a low angle shot with nice OOF background and foreground or you see the legs and all the garbage that people leave behind.
You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.:bg3:
I chose to go down to ground level and shoot from there.
If you had seen both legs from that perspective, I would have called it; jumping Sanderling.:bg3:

Karl Egressy
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Gail.
I won't take off any from the bottom since I like those OOF stones there at the bottom.
They add dimension to the composition.
You are right about the colour in the eye.
Since I did not use flash on this one, I have no idea how it got there.
It might be a natural reflection.

Luis Villablanca
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Thank Luis.
I new someone would say this in this forum.
Unfortunately you either have a low angle shot with nice OOF background and foreground or you see the legs and all the garbage that people leave behind.
You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.:bg3:
I chose to go down to ground level and shoot from there.
If you had seen both legs from that perspective, I would have called it; jumping Sanderling.:bg3:

Yep, the same thing happened to me the other day when shooting shorebirds in the mud.
The mud lumps would cut off their feet when I got really low, and the only way of seeing them was to raise the tripod.
At the end I chose to raise the tripod at the expense of the background...I am not too happy with that solution either. :2eyes2:

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Funny pose! Love the BG, except the light streak directly in front of the bill. Harsh light (exposed best you could), and those FG rocks are unfortunate. I too see the pink around the eye.

I can relate about the garbage...such a shame...

Luis Villablanca
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Since I did not use flash on this one, I have no idea how it got there.
It might be a natural reflection.

Could it be purple fringe?

Karl Egressy
09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Could it be purple fringe?

I don't know Luis, but is is gone now.
I got rid of the red, magenta and blue colours from the eye by reducing saturation of those colours by virtually zero.
Thanks for the comments.

Stu Bowie
09-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Karl, well timed to get the raised foot,and I like the leaning pose. I dont mind the OOF stones in the FG, but would consider taking about half off the soil part at the bottom.

Bill Dix
09-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Terrific pose, great detail. Another vote for more room above, less below. IMHO, the tradeoff of lower angle vs. losing the foot worked OK for you on this.