PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland Great Blue Heron

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Flash as main light was used to create the image below of a Great Blue Heron just after sunset at Gatorland. The flash creates a sharp image and illuminates the bird. The shutter speed used created a dark background as it was higher then the amibient light exposure called for. When using flash, aperture and ISO influence the flash exposure – in addition to flash output and flash exposure compensation. Shutter speed affects ambient light exposure but not flash exposure. By using a higher shutter speed, you can create a darker, more subdued background like this.

I cropped this a few different ways but came back to this as my favorite.

Canon 1D Mark IIn, Canon 600mm
1/640 sec, f/4, Manual, Evaluative, ISO: 400, Flash exp comp: -1 2/3

John Cooper
03-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi Robert, I like the moody atmosphere created here by the dark water. Nice pose by Heron and showing excellent feather detail.
I keep looking at the post in front of subject and can't decide if it adds anything to the composition.

Philip Lombard
04-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Excellent job.

Juan Aragonés
04-01-2008, 02:56 AM
The heron shines against that dark BG and the comp works fine in my opinion. Excelent exposure and very good use of flash to enhace the result. Well done

Daniel Cadieux
04-01-2008, 06:48 AM
The heron just pops against that dark BG. Very appealing image!

Axel Hildebrandt
04-01-2008, 07:05 AM
I like the mood and details and would probably remove the stump.

Gus Cobos
04-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Very nice Robert,
Like it alot, love the rich green background and the details on your bird...:D

Patricio Murphy
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
WOW. How much detail. I love this picture.

Marina Scarr
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Love the details, composition and lighting. My eye keeps going back to that stump. It would be an exceptional picture without it.

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Love the details, composition and lighting. My eye keeps going back to that stump. It would be an exceptional picture without it.

The post top is easily removed. I had images w/o it but liked the BG best in this one. I kind of like it myself so left it in to see the reaction. Version with it removed here. Thanks for your input Marina. You too Axel regarding the stump removal.

Gayle Clement
04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you for posting your flash information, Robert. I liked the stump but the photo looks great without it also.

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Thank you for posting your flash information, Robert. I liked the stump but the photo looks great without it also.

Thanks Gayle. Interesting reactions to the stump. I am glad you liked it. To me it adds an interesting graphical element to the image which is already quite graphic due to the flash as main light affect.

Harold Davis
04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
i like the stump. nothing in nature is perfect so you accept it's imperfections. robert i love the mood the image creates. well done here!!

Kaushik Balakumar
04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
i liked the re-post without the stump. overall, an excellent image.
most importantly, thanks for sharing the info on flash Robert.

Raymond Barlow
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
very nicely done Robert., fine image.

Yves Matteau
04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Very impressive. It`s one of the best photo i ever seen of the GBH. Thnnk you for all the information you gave on this picture. Hope others follow your example `cause i am here to learn.

Yves

Roger Williams
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
I like the stump for the simple reason that it was there when you created the image. I just spent an entire day with Jim Brandenburg and enjoyed seeing "real" images without artificial alterations!

Leroy Laverman
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM
First thing I thought of when I saw this image was "not sure about that stump". Reading through the posts other had the same thoughts. I don't mind it as a graphical element but I wish it was further from the bird and perhaps a bit more prominent. The cloned out version is nice as well and ready for some text on the left side (maybe in an ad or something). So after flipping between the two many times I've decided I can't decide. Nicely made image either way.