PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck

Jim Crosswell
08-31-2011, 03:36 PM
This was taken at a local pond. This is my first image of a Wood Duck. I hope to get a better one soon. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 800
f/6.3
1/30s
Tripod

gail bisson
08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi Jim,
The comp and look back pose are terrific. I have a soft spot for the female wood duck because she is always overshadowed by her handsome drake! I like the perch and the BG. I think I would boost the contrast and if you have PS5 I would go to selective color and boost the blacks in the neutrals and blacks by 2 points ( as described in Artie's book) or boost the saturation a bit,
Gail

Jim Crosswell
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi Jim,
The comp and look back pose are terrific. I have a soft spot for the female wood duck because she is always overshadowed by her handsome drake! I like the perch and the BG. I think I would boost the contrast and if you have PS5 I would go to selective color and boost the blacks in the neutrals and blacks by 2 points ( as described in Artie's book) or boost the saturation a bit,
Gail

Thanks for the comment and suggestions Gail. Here is a repost with the suggested adjustments.

gail bisson
08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Love the repost Jim. Well done,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Good thing you had a tripod and that this gal stood steady for you with that pretty slow SS! Good comp for this pose (a bit more room would also work). Sharp, and I love the blue in the wing.

Congrats on your first Wood Duck!

Brendan Dozier
08-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Real nice looking Wood Duck, Jim, and love the turned around pose and composition. Great looking eye and texture to feathers, good call by Gail to boost the blacks some. Repost looks good!

Nancy Bell
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
This is a lovely girl and I think you captured her delicate colors and patterns very well. Repost is good.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I am not sure this is a female. A juvie drake probably....note the well defined chinstrap.

Pose is excellent...so is the comp. Incredible sharpness at that low SS...and that the bird was so still with that head position. I just wish the BG was a bit better...nothing you could have done with all that vegetation on the water. Unless you had a chance to get lower and get some nice more distant BG. I know its not always possible.

Karl Egressy
09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes, it is a male juvi. Great pose and nice to have it out of the water perching por you.

Stu Bowie
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Jim, no doubt you will get a better one next time, :w3 but there's nothing wrong with this. Good look back pose, and just love the hint of colours on the wing. Great job with the sharpness considering your ss.

Jim Crosswell
09-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I am not sure this is a female. A juvie drake probably....note the well defined chinstrap.

Pose is excellent...so is the comp. Incredible sharpness at that low SS...and that the bird was so still with that head position. I just wish the BG was a bit better...nothing you could have done with all that vegetation on the water. Unless you had a chance to get lower and get some nice more distant BG. I know its not always possible.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Kaustubh this duck was in a narrow part of the pond and the shoreline was busy. I opted to keep the steeper angle to eliminate it. I hope to get another chance to for a cleaner image.

Sidharth Kodikal
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Excellent pose, sharpness and eye contact, Jim. Very lovely image of a gorgeous duck.