PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Waterfall

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
While on a hike about 2 months ago, the weather was misty and rainy for the first 2 days...and it was only a 3 day hike. Lugging along your camera and tripod on top of your heavy hiking bag stops being fun during some point of such a trip :Whoa!:.

On the last day the sun came through nicely. We stopped by this waterfall en route to the finishing point and I liked the early morning light here. We had to climb on top of a large boulder to get a perspective on the pool at the bottom.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f22 @ ISO-100
Blend of 3 images for dynamic range.

Jay Gould
08-31-2011, 04:25 PM
The simple waterfall is made quite powerful by the enormous rocks surrounding your central (too central for me) subject. I did an onscreen crop and I would consider cropping the RHS to just right of the vertical boulder standing in the water.

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Morkel - glad the sun came out for your last day and it looks like your chosen vantage point was a good one. Lovely blue sky with just a hint of clouds. I agree that the waterfall is too centered but I disagree on the suggested crop. Instead I would take some off the lhs to the top corner of the rock in the llc which would put the waterfall in a ROT position. I can do a repost but it would chop off half your watermark.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks Jay and Rachel. I don't mind the placement of the falls though...

Jay - your suggestion (if I am reading correctly) will result in a very square crop, something I am not fond of.

Rachel - feel free to post a suggestion even if it chops my watermark :tinysmile_shy_t:

Dave Mills
08-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Morkel, Actually IMO I don't feel the image needs to be cropped. The waterfall is flowing to the rt so by cropping it as suggested it's too far rt in the image. If I was going to crop this it would be a bit off the left.
The light is warm with good detail in the water flow. You stated that you were on top of a boulder in order to get the angle. Was it possible to center the waterfall in the opening since that would of been preferable....

Rachel Hollander
08-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Morkel - Here's what I was thinking.

Rachel

dankearl
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
I am kind of torn, I like the proportions of the OP, but I do think Rachel's crop shows the best view of the Falls.
The left side she cropped is the least interesting, but the crop is a bit square.
Beautiful and interesting falls, I guess you will need to lug your stuff back for a re-shoot.

Andrew McLachlan
08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Morkel, I am fine with the centered waterfall. I think you balanced the image well with the massive boulders. I also like Rachel's crop suggestion for an alternate version. Very nice and worth the hike.

Don Railton
08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi All

I'm sort of with with Rachel Dan and Andrew, ie I have slight preference to LHS crop but agree the OP is nicely framed also.

DON

Robert Amoruso
09-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Morkel,

Though I am good with the original, I feel Rachel's crop is a good direction for the image. I tried my own, placing the waterfall in the vertical left side 1/3 ROT position - cropping off the left and found I like that crop even better.

One thing to look at is the water pool at the bottom of the falls, the line against the rock was is tilted. You need a CCW rotation to correct this.

Roman Kurywczak
09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Hey Morkel,
I like the OP too but feel that Rachel's repost was a bit tight.....even for me. So I grabbed the crop tool and tried a version and here is what I came up with (also used content aware fill to get rid of rock in foilage). I still think I like the OP best but I just wnated to give you another option!

Rachel Hollander
09-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I like Roman's recrop even better. :c3: In hindsight, I probably should have taken a little off the top to better balance my crop.

I agree with Robert about the rotation.

Rachel

Jay Gould
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi, this is my take for what it is worth!

Morkel Erasmus
09-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the insightful and constructive feedback, and for the numerous reposts everyone...lots of options here I guess...:Whoa!:

Harshad Barve
09-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I love the compo as posted , Terrific sight and image
TFS