PDA

View Full Version : Four Wheeling at Governors Basin, Ourey, Colorado.

Jay Sheinfield
08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
This image was taken way up in the Southern Colorado Rockies, about 11,500 ft. I'm standing on a 4x4 path shelf road, with about 3 feet on either side of the jeep. One straight up, the other straight down...get's the adrenaline flowing.:S3:.
That's beside the point, but this was our first time doing serious off-roading, and it was very cool, if not unnerving.

I wanted to preserve the sunlight and shadow quality of the scene, and also provide some sense of depth to the image, more than the rather 2D quality of the original image. I used Simplify as a base, then multiple layers of differing contrast, light balancing and color work. ...no special filters here, just regular photoshop tools. Would appreciate you letting me know if it worked! I'm not very experienced or consistent at landscape work, so any feedback on composition and such would be helpful.

Yves Guillot
08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Very well done! I like it a lot1 Looks like a sketch painting. My eyes explore the whole image the way it is composed. Nice work! Congrats!

Mark Fuge
08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Very nice image and application, Jay.

Hope that was a one way road! :eek3: I won't try it, as that is not my forte, but congrads on surviving the ride!

Like the texture and colors of this. Well done.

denise ippolito
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Jay, I think the Simplify adds a nice painterly look to the image. Excellent finishing touches. The composition is inviting-well done!:S3:

John Storjohann
08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Jay, it's good to hear from you...I'm missing our Saturday morning coffees after a shoot! I hope all is going well. Your image is spectacular...the clouds add just enough drama and depth without overpowering the subtle colors of the landscape...wonderful balance between detail and simplification...I really like the play of light across the face of the mountain and the valley floor in the center of the image...my one suggestion would be to burn the bottom corners just a smidge, darkening the light green in the LRC, balancing it in the LLC, and drawing your eye more to the strength of the composition..but that's a matter of personal taste. This is beautiful!

Jay Sheinfield
08-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Very nice image and application, Jay.

Hope that was a one way road! :eek3: I won't try it, as that is not my forte, but congrads on surviving the ride!

Like the texture and colors of this. Well done.

Mark, I won't do the tough tracks. This is a single lane 2-way track! The uphillers have the right of way, often requiring he downhillers to backup some distance to allow passing. I won't deny a couple of white knuckle areas along the way when the track narrows down.:eek3:

Thanks for the feedback............

Cheryl Slechta
08-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Jay, I think this is so lovely. There is so much to take in and I really like the effect with Simplify - just enough. I love the shadows across the mountain face. Beautifully done:S3:

Susan Candelario
08-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Jay, I really like this one! The view and your pp is fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Steve Adkins
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Jay, wonderful image and processing. While there seem to be interesting features EVERYWHERE, it still has a pulled together, well composed, majestic and somewhat tranquil quality. A feast for the eyes. Love the variety and balanced lighting. Informative comments and suggestions on your image. TFS! :S3:

Indranil Sircar
08-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Beautiful composition and processing, Jay. Love the play of light and shadow and simplify brings out a lot in this image. Excellent work.

Paul Lagasi
08-31-2011, 04:14 AM
Jay, I've done a lot of offroading, here in Canada, on many a trail but never have I seen so nice a view....up here its swamps and small mountains. This is a lovely image, I could see this framed and on a wall....well done

Brendan Dozier
08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
What a great looking and vast landscape scene, Jay! Excellent, nicely composed base image, and nice touch with filtering to give it a soft painterly look. Well done!

Jay Sheinfield
08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you everyone. The feedback really helps.

John, Good point on the corners! Will adjust.........Thanks.