DarrenMcKenna
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.darrenmckenna.com/DJM_14619.jpg

Mountain Bluebird
Sialia currucoides

7D
500 f4 L IS +1.4x
Cypress Hills, Alberta

This was a set up that didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. Winds were approximately 100 kph (60 mph) the pine branch was attached to an old tripod but the wind prevented it from standing upright. The wind was so strong it blew over my blind so I shot this from my car. I would have preferred the bird higher in the frame but just below the perch was a barb wire fence and I wanted to keep it at a 2:3 aspect, this is full frame. There was nice light earlier but with the wind came the clouds. I placed the set up near the nestbox and getting him onto the perch was a task in it's self. All in all I am pleased with the outcome considering the conditions.

Daniel Cadieux
08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
From the conditions you describe you did very well. The vertical comp was a no-brainer, but I'm thinking if leaving off the TC would have given you better compositional options, especially that the subject is a bit tight in the frame (see right edge) and that you had no room to back up from your car (I presume). I still love the image though, great perch, good clean BG, and a perfect pose to go with it all. Colours look great too.

Randy Stout
08-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Darren:

Quite an adventure, tough working conditions!

Good points from Daniel. For web use, I wouldn't agonize over the ratio and would crop it to what looks good for web presentation.

Very nice pose with minimal blockage from the perch.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
It may be a tad tight esp on the right, but a lovely picture, pose and colors.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Darren, agree it needs more space behind the bird...but I think space below is fine. Nice colors and good HA. well done in tough conditions.