PDA

View Full Version : the tooth of the giant (massif du m.blanc)

Valerio Tarone
08-30-2011, 04:23 AM
mountain expedition in 3 days.Interpretation: the loliness of the man in face of the giant.

I normally don't put the people in the image. I know, I cite a great name. Galen Rowell supported the idea that a man balance the image, I know.

en francais: le dent du geant.
zoom 17-35 at 30mm f14 1/160 ap.prority spot iso250 tripod(of course)
in Nikon Capture:as sharpening I use the J P Odell's advice USM 60-4-4 first I rebalance wb balance on sunlight, later a bit of curve in LCE, saturation and contrast +1,, here also red+1 to reduce the bluish cast.
yes a dust spot in upper that i did't succeed to eliminate.

comments and critics...!

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Valerio,
You did well with the comp and as I am not familiar with the sharpening you mention.....the image looks a bit soft.....almost like you ran noise reduction on it but in this case it doesn't hurt the graphic nature of the image. I do wish you could open up the shadow a bit on the rock on the middle right....although not too much. The comp lines are VG with the nice shadow and light play and for me......the person adds a nice sense of scale in this case. A bit more post processing work will make this a nice image.

Dave Mills
08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi Valerio, My internet was out for 3 days and just came back. Agree with Roman's suggestions and like the way the rock formations are layered compositionally along with the play between shadow and light. At F14 the whole image should be sharp from that distance and not quite sure why the mountains are soft. I do like the figure inclusion and placement showing a sense of scale. There might be another dust spot to the left of the figure...

Valerio Tarone
08-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Roman Yes I suppose that noise reduction was still on internal in the camera. i suppose 'open the shadow' to be as I repeat using a S-reverse curve LCE. Is it?
dave thank you.
you'll receive more...image(.....also night Photos)

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Valerio - not sure what happened with your repost but it is only the size of a thumbnail. Some good advice from Dave and Roman as always.

TFS,
Rachel

Valerio Tarone
08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Thank Rachel. I often forget to write something: saturday evening,the day before, Just at first, my polarizer filter fell down.. for thousands of feet. So all the images are without polarizer, but, in any way, with GND filter. So I tried to underexpose a bit. Roman, 'open the shadows' means, for example, to do a Sreverse curve ?

Robert Amoruso
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Thank Rachel. I often forget to write something: saturday evening,the day before, Just at first, my polarizer filter fell down.. for thousands of feet. So all the images are without polarizer, but, in any way, with GND filter. So I tried to underexpose a bit. Roman, 'open the shadows' means, for example, to do a Sreverse curve ?

If you are using photoshop, you can use Shadows/Highlights adjustment in the Image > Adjustments menu.

Reverse s-curve only reduces contrast. Careful use of an s-curve can be used to open up shadows, but Shadows/Highlights is a good place to start.

If you don't mind, I would really like to see the RAW file. If you are willing to send it to me, do the following:

1) Go to www.yousendit.com and use it free to send me the RAW file.
2) Send it to wildscapeimages@att.net email address.

Do not email me the RAW file directly as it is too large. Use this service to send it. It offers a free service and a pay service, make sure you use the free service.

This is a one-time offer to look at one of your RAW files.

Valerio Tarone
08-31-2011, 01:53 PM
thank you Robert .i've sent a raw file. i'm not sure whether it can support the size. The image is not the same, but very similar.

Robert Amoruso
09-01-2011, 06:03 AM
thank you Robert .i've sent a raw file. i'm not sure whether it can support the size. The image is not the same, but very similar.

I have not received anything in my email that a file has been sent to me Valerio.