PDA

View Full Version : stretching dipper

christopher galeski
08-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Took this image the other week on my local river,have not seen one since may,and its September in couple of days time,cannon 7D,cannon 400mm f5/6.,tripod.cropped.some sharpening,1/400s,f6/3,iso400,tripod.comments good or bad.thanks.PS,wish itwas stretching its wing nearest to me.

Alan Murphy
08-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Love the setting on this one. Agree on the wish for the other wing to be stretched. Might prefer a non stretch classic pose (which I'm sure you have)

Marina Scarr
08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Ditto Alan. I really like the environmental feel of this one with the rocks, vines and grass. Would have liked to see a little better HA too, but still a keeper.

gail bisson
08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
The IQ is terrific. bird almost has a 3d effect against the rocks. I like the sprig of green. Not crazy about the pose. I like the feet.
gail

Morkel Erasmus
08-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Despite the similarly coloured background it seems nicely separated from it, Christopher. I too wish the near wing was outstretched and feel you might need to add a hint of additional sharpening to the bird...WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
08-31-2011, 04:26 AM
Hi Christopher, I would agree on your wish, but that might be in an ideal world, but think I am with Alan on a 'non' stretch version. :w3

Personally I feel it's a little too saturated, if you drop the saturation down this also helps the rather 'green' vegetation too, plus a a bit more in Curves gives the bird a bit more pop and as Morkel suggested, a bit more USM on the bird does bring out more form and detail. Both done on layers, then combined I feel this then gives this the edge it needs. Good luck in September, trust it is fruitful and the water is flowing hard so they can forage and dipper in the turbulent water they love.

BYTW have you tried around Buxton, a well known spot, but you have to put up with the stupid dog walkers though?

Steve

christopher galeski
09-01-2011, 04:43 AM
thanks everyone for comments and sugestions,Steve, I only used a bit of vibrance,the green grass was this green,I left it in because of all the shades of brown,it broke up the bland FG and BG.,but I will try your suggestions:wave:thanks.