PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper?

Ron Sprunger
08-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Still working my way through all the shorebirds I shot in Florida (mostly at Fort De Soto Park) in mid-April. I'm thinking based on the yellow legs alone that this has to be a Least in breeding plumage, but would like some expert confirmation. Thanks in advance for the help. I blew out the whites a bit on this, unfortunately, and it's a severe crop.

Nikon D7000, 500mm f/4 @500mm
f/4, 1/800, ISO 280, distance 9.4 m

John Chardine
08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
I think so Ron. The yellow legs are characteristic of this species, and although there are other Calidris sandpipers that have yellow legs, they are quite a bit larger than the Least (North American ones at least). This little guy is showing very worn feathers and looks like he/she needs to moult.

Ron Sprunger
08-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks John, I appreciate the help.

Paul Guris
08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Bill shape (gentle curve, fine tip), overall brown color, and yellow legs all look good for Least to me.

Arthur Morris
09-06-2011, 06:47 PM
It is an adult Least but it has a long way to go to finish the molt to breeding plumage.

Dave Irons
09-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Artie is spot on with this bird. It is an adult Least Sandpiper that has barely started its prealternate molt. Note differences in feather edges. Winter feathers (basic plumage) show very ragged/frayed margins and they are generally paler and concolor. The newer alternate feathers ("breeding plumage") show very little wear or fading and they have broad dark centers with buff and/or rusty margins. Note the somewhat disorganized look in terms of pattern and the sizes of feathers on the upperparts.