PDA

View Full Version : Evening light

Steve Kaluski
08-29-2011, 10:28 AM
After dinner it was time for a quite stroll up to the bridge and with almost 24 hour light it gave an opportunity to catch some last rays of light. Again with engines still running the possibility of popping the camera on a tripod was out of the question with the vibration, so hand holding was the only option. Wished I had the G12 then and the knowledge you guys have on here.

Steve

Subject: Sunset in Svalbard
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 24-70f/2.8 handheld
Exposure: 1/100s at f9 ISO400 -0.33 stop compensation
Crop: Almost FF, cropped for presentation (original capture horizontal)

PS: Levels/Curves/small amount of USM

Brendon Cremer
08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Great image a scene, well seen and captured, nice colours and well exposed:w3

Jerry van Dijk
08-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Very nice deserted feel to this image, Steve! I like the low clouds in the BG, with the light falling through it. I would be tempted to lighten up the image a bit, but that would ruin the idea of dusk of course.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Nice ice. But my favorite part of the image is the water lrc. When were you there? Did you get bears??? What ship?

Steve Kaluski
08-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Thanks guys.

Hi Artie, it was in September just as the ice pack started to form, was with a good friend of ours 'Rousey' who is actually out there as I post, looks like he is having another cracking time, in fact Norbert Rosing was also floating around on a much bigger vessel. You have seen a couple of my bears, as you have commented, but posted others way back. Will probably post another bear later :bg3:. I still owe you some Tiger images too, guess it will be easier to mail a CD as the website is terribly overdue for an update and needs an overhaul.

Just a couple of links Artiie in case you haven't seen them, plus an image of the HM Stockholm too. Still trying to get to grips on landscapes and really only scrapping the surface. :S3:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/88421-More-ice-anyone

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87597-Austfonna-ice-cap

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87561-Svalbard-waters

Appreciate taking the interest.

cheers
Steve

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey Steve,
On my list of places to must visit! I like the idea of lightneing the ice a bit. Unlike Artie, the ripples in the LRC take away from the tranquility of the rest of the scene. An idea for you to explore next time is to up the ISO to 800 and HH or get an assistant to do it:bg3: a split ND in front of the lens......this would allow for a more balanced light. Another option if the assistant isn't available......is to do one exposure for sky and another for the FG and blend them. Just another option for you when you return.

Steve Kaluski
08-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi Roman, I've always been reluctant to go higher on the MKIII, but now bolstered with the MKIV things will change.

I will hopefully have time to explore the world of HDR over the next two weeks, but doubt if I have time or space to pack any Lee filters, but agree a nice ND would have helped. Will also explore shooting with the G12 too, as that has a built in ND & grid.

Been good posting on here and hope to do more in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

cheers
Steve

Dave Mills
08-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Steve, well framed overall with the reflections adding a nice contrast. Have mixed feelings regarding the lower right but would prefer the water the same as represented elsewhere.Good advice by Roman regarding the exposure...If you decide to lighten the ice I would just do it a small amount...

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Steve - very nice, my favorite part is the ice and water too. Like it as presented but you could probably have a second image here by creating a pano without the mountain and sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Roman, I've always been reluctant to go higher on the MKIII, but now bolstered with the MKIV things will change.

I will hopefully have time to explore the world of HDR over the next two weeks, but doubt if I have time or space to pack any Lee filters, but agree a nice ND would have helped. Will also explore shooting with the G12 too, as that has a built in ND & grid.

Been good posting on here and hope to do more in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

cheers
Steve

I find it curious you did not like going over ISO400 on the Mark III. For me ISO 800 is standard until my shutter speeds get too fast then I scale back. I never fret going to ISO 1600 with it.

I would crop the FG out and lose the rippled section. I tried an s-curve to lighten the image as a whole and then Shadows/Highlights and used the highlight sliders only to tame the clouds. I liked the results.

Steve Kaluski
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi Robert, I guess with your location you have 'the light' although interesting to note you are quite happy at hi iSO's. I find the MKIII can be quite noisy 'grainy' on occasions, so I need to ensure they are 'pucker' espially when they go out. Could you please post the results, as I would be interested to see what can be achieved.

So far I have been pleased with the MKIV, although it really hasn't had the baptism I wanted as yet. The rumours about the MKV sound good, but guess they are rumours, however it WILL come with a price tag!!!

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM
I like the image design here Steve. Good use of depth and elements to hold the viewer's attention, starting with the ripples bottom RHS and reflection of clouds bottom centre, then moving to the ice packs and out to the mountain and misty weather in the BG.

You should explore landscaping more - it's fun and quite a challenge of a different nature than wildlife/avian :c3:

Arthur Morris
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys.

Hi Artie, it was in September just as the ice pack started to form, was with a good friend of ours 'Rousey' who is actually out there as I post, looks like he is having another cracking time, in fact Norbert Rosing was also floating around on a much bigger vessel. You have seen a couple of my bears, as you have commented, but posted others way back. Will probably post another bear later :bg3:. I still owe you some Tiger images too, guess it will be easier to mail a CD as the website is terribly overdue for an update and needs an overhaul.

Just a couple of links Artiie in case you haven't seen them, plus an image of the HM Stockholm too. Still trying to get to grips on landscapes and really only scrapping the surface. :S3:

Appreciate taking the interest.

cheers Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks for the links. Andy is both a friend and a judge in the BAA 1st International Bird Photography Competition. Norbert is also a friend. Can you direct me to more of your bear images???