PDA

View Full Version : Red Skimmer

Kerry Perkins
08-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I was at the LA County Arboretum last weekend and noticed a couple of these flitting around next to a little stream. I waited for a while before one landed on a reed. Cropped about 50%, as I don't have extension tubes, at least not yet. :c3: Cloned out one OOF blade of grass at the bottom of frame.

I posted a processed version in OOTB yesterday.

7D, EF400mm f/5.6L
Manual mode, f/5.6@1/3200 ISO 800 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, hand-held no flash

Steve Maxson
08-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi Kerry. Nice use of the 400 mm macro. :S3: Great colors and excellent sharpness on the abdomen and near wings. The head isn't quite as sharp as the rest - you might try some additional selective sharpening to see if it helps. A slight move to your right in the field would likely have done the trick - though it's always a challenge to get both the head and tail of these critters in the same plane of focus. I also like the diagonal perch and the OOF background. Overall, this is very nicely done.

christopher galeski
08-29-2011, 03:20 AM
nice image,like the color,as been said by Steve the head is not as sharp as wing and tail,but I still like it.thanks.

Jerry van Dijk
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi Kerry, this is a wonderful image. I like the 3D feel the light created on those wings. It seems like you can just reach out and grab this dragonfly. Good points for improvement already made. That step to the right also would have given you full view of the head.

Carel v/d Sanden
08-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi Kerry
I'd also have something further to left, stands centrally in the picture.
I will continue along with Steve.

kostas nianiopoulos
08-30-2011, 04:14 AM
well done Kerry , very good color on the guy and a lovley BG

Julie Kenward
08-30-2011, 07:39 AM
A real beauty, Kerry! Agree with Steve on the focus. I also see my eye going to that light spot on the upper rear wing...might give that a quick tone down. Love the intense reds in these insects and you handled it very well!

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey Kerry,
Just got back form the Tanzania tour and nicely surprised to see you in here with the 400mm macro! Great use and very nice find!!! Good assesments above by Steve and others so have nothing to add and easy tweaks to make this image shine even more! Very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
09-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Lovely shot, the head just a little OOF but not much, gorgeous colours and a very nice composition. You also have s great background.

These skimmers are (I guess) what we in the UK call darters. I have had two pairs over my garden pond ovipositing and I just cannot get them to land (either as pairs or singly) on a suitable perch - they keep landing on the warm stones when they need to recharge their batteries. Your shot is exactly what I am trying to achieve - it has given me a great incentive.

Ken Childs
09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Kerry, nice to see you here in macro! The colors on this are fantastic.....a wonderful shade of red without going overboard. The sharpness of the head has already been mentioned. Unless you could have got slightly higher, I don't think you could have done any better with what was given to you. Had you taken a step to the right, I think you would have had the problem of the head merging with the perch.