PDA

View Full Version : Love

BenBotha
08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Kgalagadi lioness and cub. Was in the shade, resting after a kill.

Canon 7D
ISO 400
F4
Canon 500 F4mm IS
1/200

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Ben

Nice moment captured. I would suggest toning down the whole image's luminance using the method below. Then lower saturation overall and selectively on red channel. In PS using selectively color add black to red to give some POP to the image.

That is what I did in the repost.

Highlight selection:

1) Channels palette.
2) Ctrl key and click the RGB channel. Photoshop will now create a feathered selection around highlight pixels in the image. Photoshop has selected pixels based on how bright they are. Pure white pixels are selected 100%. Pure black pixels are not selected and pixels falling in-between those two extremes are selected based on a percentage of how close they are to white.

Adjustment:

1) Go back to layer palette - you will see selection.
2) Create BG copy.
3) Create mask on the BG copy from the selection.
4) Selection is grayscale shaded.
5) Change blending mode to Multiply.
6) Adjust opacity.

Harshad Barve
08-28-2011, 10:47 PM
nice moment and great C & C by Robert ,
TFS

Tommy Rodgers
08-30-2011, 07:06 AM
I like the parent/child reaction. I agree that the image is a little light. Having tried Robert's suggestions in the past and found them excellent, I recommend you give them a try. I am trying to wait till 2012 for another visit to Africa, but you are making that really hard. Thanks for sharing.

Robert: Thanks for another great lesson.

Morkel Erasmus
08-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Lovely interaction Ben. Robert made some good suggestions in getting more detail from the image (similar to your giraffe image posted earlier).
Any reason why you went with the square crop?? :t3

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Ben - tender moment. Good suggestions by Robert.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Hey Ben,
Love the interaction and the tight comp accentuates it. I might be tempted to go a touch more off the bottom....eliminating the clipped paws.

DanWalters
08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Nice interaction. Like the little bit of red on the face.

BenBotha
08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The square crop because there is a a dark branch on the R hand side and OOF grass at the bottom, left hand side thin branches.

BenBotha
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the comments, I recalibrated my screen and that was the reason for the sometimes funny colours in my posts. I hope the problem is fixed. Thanks again for the input.

Ben