View Full Version : Theme Eastern Empirial Eagle (Landing) -LRK

Ishmeet Sahni
08-28-2011, 09:52 AM
1D Mk III + 1.4Tc
Aperture: F8
Shutter: 1/800 sec
ISO : 200
Exposure Bias: 0

As I had posted an image of an Eastern Imperial Eagle, taking off. I thought, a landing would be an apt post.
I hope you all like it.

Gary Esman
08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Nice image, sharp, exposure looks good, awesome background, like the isolation. Not a big fan of the square crop. I might crop down to eliminate the gray/green area and add more room to the right if you have it.

Gary.

Marina Scarr
08-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Lovely raptor, and I really like the pose, the light and the perch. Your exposure looks dead one. I have to agree that the square crop and upper band of color don't really make this capture all that it could be, but what you can do from here, depends on how much canvas you have to play with in your original capture. I would try to place your raptor to the left rather than the center. You may wish to visit the Educational Resources forum and check on James Shadles' thread regarding Rule of Thirds Composition.

Could you please tell us if you put that perch down for him or was it already there by nature?

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and always happy to see photos of birds we don't have here.

Randy Stout
08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Ishmeet:

The bird is very good, nice pose, sharp, well exposed, good timing. I would also move him to the left in the frame.

I can see going either way with the gray at the top. To me, it strengthens the sense of the vast expanse of the barren area he is living in, stretching out to the horizon.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Kiran Poonacha
08-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Beautiful one sir, loved the eye contact.

Regards,

Kiran.

Shreeni Rao
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Beautiful capture Ishmeet. Agree with Randy's comment above moving to the left if possible.

Ishmeet Sahni
08-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Thank you all (Gary, Marina, Randy) regarding your comment of using the rule of thirds in this image. I shall reprocess this image and re-post it.

Marina, this is a natural perch, it was not placed there by me.

The reason I have included part of the horizon, is to show the vast barren landscape. This image was taken at LRK (Little Rann of Kutch). It is a saline desert (saline desert-cum-seasonal wetland) of Kutch is believed to have been shallow sea. Hardly anything grows here. That said, it is one of the best places to see and photograph Raptors, Flamingos, Pelicans, Owls and also the Houbara Bustard to name a few, in the winter, during the migration season.
Randy, you were spot on for my reason to include the horizon.

Kiranbhai, thanks a lot. It means a lot coming from you.

Shreeni, thanks a lot for your comments.

yogesh_puranik
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
ishmeet...superb landing pose sharp image grt feel of LRK fantastic one

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Beautiful subject. Good suggestions in regards to the crop, and I agree the upper band does not add much (but respect your reasoning behind it). I'd selectively sharpen the perch as it looks oddly soft compared to the eagle (note how sharp the talons are compared to it!)

Jim Fenton
08-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Nice light, beautiful subject...cool little perch,

Subject is to low in the frame for me however, especially as it is looking down as it comes in to land.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
08-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Great bird, great pose. I agree about the bg band. If it were mine I would re crop removing the band and take some off the left side to take the bird out of center. Looking at it without the band really emphasizes the bird and the great complimentary color scheme.

RakeshDhareshwar
08-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Here I feel that the centred composition works for me . The blue sky adds . The wingspread and the sharp eye adds a lot !! Amazing one , Ishmeet .

Ofer Levy
08-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice pose and what a beautiful bird! The area around the feet and perch looks strange almost as if the perch belongs to a different image. Maybe because you have selectively sharpened the bird and not the perch. I actually see a similar effect all around the bird.

Roland
08-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Ishmeet,

Sorry I know this site is not about bird ID but raptors and especially the bigger eagles can be very difficult to identify down to species level, and people who are eager to learn about raptor ID are getting misled by posts like yours. I don't understad why you insist on putting the wrong name to this bird.

Roland

Ishmeet Sahni
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Ishmeet,

Sorry I know this site is not about bird ID but raptors and especially the bigger eagles can be very difficult to identify down to species level, and people who are eager to learn about raptor ID are getting misled by posts like yours. I don't understad why you insist on putting the wrong name to this bird.

Roland

After your comment on my earlier post [Eastern Imperial Eagle (Take Off)], I went back and checked and re-checked with the books that I had. I was still confused, so I called up a friend of mine who is an expert on Raptors and sent him the image. He got back to me, confirming that it is an Imperial Eagle.

I am no expert at this, Roland I would request you to help me solve my dilemma. Could you send me some examples to help me differentiate.

In advance, thanks a ton.

Ishmeet Sahni
08-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice pose and what a beautiful bird! The area around the feet and perch looks strange almost as if the perch belongs to a different image. Maybe because you have selectively sharpened the bird and not the perch. I actually see a similar effect all around the bird.

Ofer, thanks a lot for your comments. I will make sure I don't repeat the same mistakes in the future. That doesn't mean I am not going to make new ones. :bg3:
So please keep a look out for me.........:S3:

Roland
08-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Ishmeet,

I have lots of pictures of both Imperial and Steppe Eagle on my hard disk but cannot post them in this forum. If you pm me your e-mail address I could send you some as attachments.

Cheers,
Roland