PDA

View Full Version : Purakaunui Falls Trail, South Island, New Zealand

Jay Gould
08-28-2011, 06:26 AM
This image was made about 20 minutes after the first PF Trails image; a bit higher up the stream away from the falls. When I saw the distant pool under the ferns I not only wanted to capture the moment, I wanted to cast a line for the trout that I knew wasn't there. :w3

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 1/05/11; 12:21pm
Light condition: Overcast
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 80
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 8 sec
Aperture: f/14
Exp Comp:
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: PL
Crop: minimal
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3, CS5, Nik

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Jay,

I do not feel the inclusion of the FG is helping this image. I do find the water-motion in the middle ground interesting and pleasing and feel if the image composition had been organized to make that portion of the scene more prominent, a stronger composition would emerge.

In the FG now, it looks blurry either due to lack of DOF or motion blur.

Jay Gould
08-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi Bob, I knew one or more would not like/comment on the foreground. I included the lengthy foreground because lighting on the surface created a leading line from the near the lower center to the white water. It would certainly work as a pano; I kinda like the leading line and the trees under the surface. Cheers,

A pano is in the future.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I'd go a step further: long lens on the swirly water left center and lose the rest. :)

Jay Gould
08-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Artie, I was slowly walking up the middle of the stream moving the tripod and then me. No long lens in possession at this moment of capture.

How does everyone like the pano?

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey Jay,
Back from Tanzania! I agree on the pano crop.....maybe just a touch more from the bottom. Did you vary the SS? This may been one case where a bit shorter SS may have worked better so as always, I recommend bracketing the water flow when possible.

Jay Gould
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Hmmmm, more off the bottom; how much.

Vary the SS? I assume you mean different images. No I didn't; I will in the future. Definitely will explore changing both Tv and Av in the future to maintain exposure with different SSs.

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Jay - I too prefer the pano crop and might go further to just above your watermark. Nice scene.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Jay, I like the pano crop, agree with just a touch more off the bottom. Too bad you did not have a longer lens at the time as I too would have concentrated more on the swirling water too.

Robert Amoruso
08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I do like the repost Jay. This is also a good subject where a telephoto can be used to create more selective compositions of the falls themselves.

Arthur Morris
09-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Stream or no stream you need your tools....

Jay Gould
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Stream or no stream you need your tools....

Hmmm

Thank you.

Artie, since I have your attention could you please explain the reference to Rear Focus in your posts. I previously asked about this. Thanks.