PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn Ram

Rachel Hollander
08-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Taken on Mt. Norquay Road in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. Unfortunately, the 2 rams never strayed far from the road but when other cars came by they would act spooked and head for the edge.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 220mm
1/250
f5
ISO 400
HH, curves adjustment, selective NR on bg and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Canuel
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi Rachel,
I like the depth and color of the BG that the trees provide for this one. The sheep seems a little contrasty (dark areas too dark), maybe lighten up a little? The eye especially needs a touch more "life".

Brendon Cremer
08-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Rachel ditto Steve with regards a little too dark but otherwise great colours. Would perhaps crop a little off the top and left and maybe sharpen a tad more too:w3

Dumay de Boulle
08-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Gonna have to say this one doesn't work for me:e3 Light angle doesn't work well to illuminate the Bighorn nicely. And the head merging with the busy BG takes away. Also the IQ is lacking and the crop by the feet is too tight. Sorry hope I don't sound too harsh:e3:S3:

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Try a reverse s-curve to lower contrast. Make a selection of the eye, use curves to lighten it, then sharpen to make it pop better.

Stan Cunningham
08-28-2011, 06:19 PM
It looks a little soft in my monitor. I like the colors though.

Harshad Barve
08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Gonna have to say this one doesn't work for me:e3:e3

I am sorry but have to agree with Dumay
TFS

Rachel Hollander
08-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. And no Dumay, you're not too harsh. I'm not happy with any of the ram shots from this trip due to there being too much road in them. This was the best of the lot but by no means one that I would blow up or frame. Not sure about the IQ, I may have forgotten to sharpen after reducing for web because original is sharper.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Not sure about the IQ, I may have forgotten to sharpen after reducing for web because original is sharper.

Perhaps you are right there...Rachel this one certainly seems 'soft' and underexposed...not up to your usual standard I am afraid :e3...
I also find a strong magenta cast in the image overall, particularly notable on the BG.

Robert's suggestions will improve the luminosity...