PDA

View Full Version : hanging on

christopher galeski
08-27-2011, 06:54 AM
took this the other week,I just liked how its colors blended in with the broken stem colors.Its a meadow plant bug,leptopterna dolastrata,cannon7d,100MM macro f/2.8,is,l,usm,tripod,f/8,1/250,iso640,cropped,some sharpening.comments good or bad welcome.thanks.

Steve Maxson
08-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi Christopher. Very nice light, comp, sharpness, and background. The broken off perch and the dew drops add interest to the image. Too bad your cool bug seems to be missing part of an antenna. In an ideal world, I would wish that the front leg wasn't blocking our view of the face, but the bugs don't always cooperate the way we'd like. A slight move to your right might have helped, though that's not always easy to do when you're working from a tripod. :S3: Overall, this is very well done.

christopher galeski
08-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Steve thanks for comment,but the antenna,is not got anything missing off it,it is the angle of the antenna facing the lens.thanks again.

Jerry van Dijk
08-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi Cristopher, very nice bug! I like all the shades of green in the image and the vertical lines in BG and perch complimenting the elongated body of the bug. I was curious to see an image of its back, because it seems like quite a colorful fellow. However, googling the scientific name you provided did not return any hits. It seems that you made a small mistake in the name. The correct scientific name should be Leptopterna dolabrata.

christopher galeski
08-30-2011, 03:16 AM
thanks Jerry,when I checked the bug out for its name I wrote it down in a hurry,when I cme to put it on the web,and looked at my squibblings,I could not make out if it was ST or B, chose ST,mistake.thanks again.

kostas nianiopoulos
08-30-2011, 04:13 AM
nice light, comp, sharpness well done

Julie Kenward
08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Very nice, Chris! I agree keeping that back stem really adds a sense of depth to the image and gives the BG more interest without anything taking away from the insect. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey Christopher,
Just back from Tanzania so a bit late to comment. I may just lighten the lower body a few points.....just to make it stand out against the bG a touch more.....but overall....very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Very nice shot, my only critiques would I suspect be ones you would have thought of and they are only corrected with a fully compliant insect. Ideally the antenna would not have crossed the stem and the abdomen would have been in a slightly better plane to optimise DOF. As you were on a tripod I would have also tried f11 and f16 (bet you did and preferred the muted background?)