PDA

View Full Version : More ice anyone?

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2011, 04:12 AM
As I have said before, I don't normally venture into landscapes, but occasionally dabble given a chance and certainly from the recent feedback I thought I would post this reworked version. Having sailed for many hours on the search for Polar bears across the rather flat, desolate pack ice suddenly this appeared from almost know where, just incredible.

All PS is kept simple and based on shooting from a rolling ship, no filters or long exposures are possible.

Sorry Rachel, just giving you another gentle nudge to book the trip and in fact Andy is back out again so will hear what this trip was like when he gets back. :w3

Steve

Subject: Ice berg in surrounding pack ice
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 16-35f/2.8 - handheld
Exposure: 1/100s at f/11 ISO400 +0.33 stop compensation
Crop: FF (original capture vertical)

Dave Mills
08-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Steve,the blue against the almost colorless ice and sky enhances the formation. Just enough ice in the foreground with the formation on a diagonal along with a few birds to add interest and scale. If this were mine I would crop the top to just below your name. Well handled...

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Cheers Dave, unless it's obvious to me in this New World of Landscape, I tend to leave it FF and seek the advice of my peers and more learned in this area. :w3

Cheers

PS Hope you have battened down the hatches over there!!!

Steve Adkins
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
This is a new view of nature for me, Steve. Wonderful blue color and detail/texture in the "berg". Good capture given your conditions. Agree a slight crop off top would bring it up a notch. Thanks so much for sharing!

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Steve - as I said before, you're whetting my appetite. Great blue in the iceberg and I like the foreground ice. Looks like a huge 'berg to me and the berg sort of looks like a ship. (Hey if we can see shapes in clouds, why not in icebergs too?) :S3:

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Ridiculously good.
The color, crop and just the idea of seeing this is just cruel to those of us who will probably never
get to see this in person.
Thanks for posting.
Just beautiful.

Robert Amoruso
08-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Steve, I agree with the crop from top and would suggest 1/2 way between top of ice and top of image. I like the "just right" inclusion of ice in the FG.

Steve Kaluski
08-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Cheers Robert, this landscape business is far more technical than I ever thought, so i have a big respect for those who tackle this area, with objects in the FG leading the eye etc, animals are far more easier to deal with, unless they move. :bg3:

cheers
Steve

jack williamson
08-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I scrolled down and agree with the crop suggestions, other than that I completely agree with Dankearl. The blue in this ice is fantastic.

Jack

Roger Clark
08-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi Steve,

Very nice image. I like the exposure and foreground elements. The cyan color of the berg contrasting with the surrounding gray makes the scene. I'm OK with a small crop off the top, but I do like it as is, as the expanse of sky adds a bleakness to the mood.

I would have rotated the camera left just a little to include more of the background berg that is cut off on the left edge. That one has lots of nice lines, in contrast to the berg on the right which is less exciting so more of it could have been cut off.

Roger

Jay Gould
08-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Very well done! I have to go back in time and start working on my berg images from Antarctica too.

What vessel are you on?

Cheers,

Steve Kaluski
08-29-2011, 07:55 AM
An old ice breaker 1953 jay, although 'Thank God' these beauties were few & far between, but did provide some excellent opportunities.

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey Steve,
I love the colors! I think the crop off the top and right would bethe finishing touches on a great image!

Steve Kaluski
08-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Cheers Roman. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I like!!
Very appealing "ice-scape" with super tones. I agree on the crop from the top...