PDA

View Full Version : Close-up on Luna Moth

Michel Pilon
08-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

Here is a close-up of a male Luna Moth, photographed in Quebec (Sherbrooke) in July...

Thank you for commenting :)

Michel

http://parcours.pilonm.org/pictures/insectes/papillonLune1.jpg

Make = Panasonic
Model = DMC-FZ20
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 300
Y Resolution = 300
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Date Time = 2010-03-14 19:46:30
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 204

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/60"
F Number = F6.5
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.2
Date Time Original = 2009-07-01 07:18:24
Date Time Digitized = 2009-07-01 07:18:24
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4
Exposure Bias Value = -1EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.83
Metering Mode = Spot
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 37.6mm

Julie Kenward
08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Awesome close up Michel! What lens did you use on this? The diagonal line of the wings is great - and that drop of water on the antenna - superb focus!

Michel Pilon
08-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Hello Julie,

Thank you very much for your nice comment about this pic :)

What lens did you use on this?

In fact I used a Raynox DCR-150 Macro Conversion lens. In french we call that a "bonnette" but I don't know the right term in english.

Here is the info about this lens I'm using with my bridge Panasonic FZ-20:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr150/indexdcr150eg.htm

With the great IS system of the Panasonic, I was able to take this shot hand-held even at 1/60s!!!

Cheers,

Michel

Dave Leroy
08-25-2011, 05:49 PM
That is a very tight shot and a different composition as well. I like it.

Very sharp and nice dof. I just wish the lower left had more light so some detail would be revealed. The blocked portion looks rounded so is that part of the lens or an obstruction.

Very well done.

Dave

Steve Maxson
08-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi Michel. What an impressive in-your-face look at this beautiful moth! The detail in the face and antennas is outstanding and the water drop adds interest. I also like the diagonal comp, the colors, and the clean background. There is some noise visible in the lower part of the frame where it starts to get darker - you might apply some nr to that area. Overall, this is very well done!

Michel Pilon
08-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Hello Dave and Steve and thank you for your appreciated comments on this picture :)

The blocked portion looks rounded so is that part of the lens or an obstruction.

I don't really remember but I think that it is a shadow formed by something above. It was perched on the bark of a appletree in my backyard when I took this pic.

There is some noise visible in the lower part of the frame where it starts to get darker - you might apply some nr to that area.

You are completly right... I think I forgot to pass NR on this zone. Thank you very much for noticing :)

Often people will photographed this wonderful moth (maybe the nicest Lepidoptera we have in Quebec in my opinion) entirely but here, I wished to create an unusual composition for this one. The waterdrop was completely natural (not added by me!) and its presence is just a nice extra gift for me :D

Cheers,

Michel

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey Michel,
Great in your face pose and the tweaks suggested by Steve will make this outstanding!