FNumber: 7.1
Focal Length: 700
ISO Speed Ratings: 640
Lens Model: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III

Randy Stout
08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
William:

I keep finding myself twisting my head to make him more upright!

Sharp, well exposed,fun pose.

Good flash use, but I might be tempted to soften the shadow on the leaf behind his head.

The background is a bit cluttered, but the bird is strong enough to keep pulling my eye back in to him.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

William Majoros
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Randy, thanks for the kind words. Do you know why my post doesn't have a thumbnail in the forum view? Did I do something wrong? Is this correctable? This is my first image post here.

many thanks,
-Bill

edit: I'll see if I can attach the image here to generate thumbnail

Luis Villablanca
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Love the pose. I would give it a bit more room to the left and maybe make it less squarish (8x10?).

It seems the thumbnail is only generated when you upload the image to BPN and does not show up if you link it from some other place.
Apparently they changed this a while ago and I found out about it on my first post this year (when I linked an image from Flickr).

William Majoros
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM

Randy Stout
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Bill:

Luis is right, that in order to generate a thumbnail, the image needs to be hosted on BPN, not linked from off site.

The posting guidelines are listed on a thread at the very top of the avian forum page.

If that isn't the issue (hosting off site), let me know and I will pass it on to one of our tech guys!

Thanks

Randy

William Majoros
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Randy -- thanks for the info. I did re-upload the image in a reply message, but it appears that the very first post in the thread has to have the image uploaded in order for a thumbnail to be generated. Uploading in replies to the thread doesn't seem to generate the thumbnail. I was just trying to save space on the servers, but I guess from now on I'll upload rather than linking. I'd guess that threads with no thumbnail probably don't get read as often.

Luis Villablanca
08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Randy,

The only mention about thumbnails on the guidelines is this one, and it's not clear to me how to make it work:
Thumbnails for images hosted "off site" are now available using the VB4 Default Style. Style selection is done using the drop down menu at the bottom left corner of forum. As time allows we will add the thumbnail feature to more Styles.

Maybe this could be improved as it does lead to threads not being read as much as the ones with thumbnails.

Thanks,
--
Luis

Randy Stout
08-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Luis:

I will submit this to the tech guys!

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-25-2011, 01:19 PM
William, you are right. image has to be uploaded( rather than linked) in the main post.....for thumbail to be generated. Uploading in a reply will not generate the thumbnail as the thumbnail is always of the image in the first post.

very nice pose, exp. and details. BG is busy but it is blurred enough to create subject separation...I like it.

Shreeni Rao
08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
That is one acrobatic pose ! Love the BG colors

Marina Scarr
08-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Love the upside down pose and the BG. Wish that one limb wan't so close to the bird's face.

Karl Egressy
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I remember this picture from earlier time when I thought it was turned upside down.
Now I know it wasn't. Great picture.

William Majoros
08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I remember this picture from earlier time when I thought it was turned upside down.
Now I know it wasn't. Great picture.

Thanks Karl :)

Raul Padilla
08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
inusual pose, very sharp, colors very realistic, great work.

James Shadle
08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi Randy, thanks for the kind words. Do you know why my post doesn't have a thumbnail in the forum view? Did I do something wrong? Is this correctable? This is my first image post here.

many thanks,
-Bill

edit: I'll see if I can attach the image here to generate thumbnail

A thumbnail is as easy as hosting on our site.
James