PDA

View Full Version : Selective DOF

Dave Leroy
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
This was taken a couple months ago and I am curious about the reaction.
7D, 100mm macro at 1/100, f/11, Av at -1/3, ISO640.

Dave

Julie Kenward
08-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Dave, this is really interesting - I've looked at it a couple of times and I can't quite decide if I love it or not. I really like the bright colors but the muddy brown is holding me back. If you did some PS magic on it - bringing the top colors and shapes all the way down to the petal and then carrying the hot pink across the bottom I think you'd have an outstanding abstract image here.

Dave Leroy
08-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jules. Always insightful. I think in general terms you are saying you are not liking the darker areas. Not that I am going to do anything with the original, it is just good to know.

Thanks

Dave

Steve Maxson
08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Dave. With abstracts like this everything is very subjective, but I'm leaning toward Jules' line of thinking on this one. For me, the image would be stronger without the dark area just above your focus point. :S3:

kostas nianiopoulos
08-30-2011, 04:08 AM
good color , nice selective focus

Ken Childs
09-18-2011, 11:06 AM
LOL! I opened this post, looked at the shot for awhile and couldn't decide whether or not I liked it. Then I read Jules' comments!

It has some great colors and shapes but I'm not thrilled with the dark areas at the top on bottom. The dark area in the middle doesn't bother me and IMHO, it helps to accentuate the one sharp area. You might try cropping a small amount from the top and bottom and then give the whole thing a slight brightening with S/H and see what you get.