PDA

View Full Version : Clipping Penalty On The Tern-Over

Bill Dix
08-24-2011, 08:53 AM
I watched this juvi for some time, calling incessantly for its parents. One showed up several times with a fish, but this time came without any food. This was before I had the sense to remove the TC, so I was too close at 700mm and the clipping exceeds my abilities at wing-tip repair. Cropped slightly from right and bottom. Question is whether this works for anyone. C&C welcome.

D90 | 500f4 + 1.4 TC | ISO 500 | 1/1250s @ f/7.1 | + 0.3 EV

Andrew Merwin
08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I like the HA on the adult & junior. I also like the adult's spread tail. Junior's open mouth & visible tongue is a neat touch. I also like the BG & junior's perch with the weathering & the barnacles. I would like to see all of the adult bird. I think the wing position, if it were visible, would be fantastic & add immeasurably to the image. Are there hot spots on both birds?

Ofer Levy
08-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Exposure looks spot on. Have you added the catchlights as they look strange in both birds. I am afraid clipped bird kills this image for me.

Alan Murphy
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
The young bird looks great. The adult would work better clipped if it was facing us some more.

Kaustubh Deshpande
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Bill, lot of good things here...the calling pose, the exposure, the perch, moment, BG. I agree with Alan...clipped adult would have worked with better angle and wing position. Catchlight on adult looks odd.

Bill Dix
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks all. Certainly it would have been better with the whole adult, and with a better HA. I have another shot taken 15 minutes earlier, showing both birds in their entirety at a different piling a little further away; but in that one the adult's wing is casting the juvi in shadow, and the HA is further off than this one. Hard to get everything working at once. Catchlights here are natural in both birds. I'll post another frame of the juvi tomorrow, taken just before the adult showed up.

noelle zaleski
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Hey Bill, I really like the juvi in this one! He looks really hungry :S3:

I agree it is sometimes hard to get everything working at once.

Was this in NJ?

Bill Dix
08-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey Bill, I really like the juvi in this one! He looks really hungry :S3:

I agree it is sometimes hard to get everything working at once.

Was this in NJ?

Thanks Noelle. This was in Horseshoe Cove, Sandy Hook, two weeks ago.

dankearl
08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I would just crop out the clipped bird if you have enough left.
The Juvi looks great, nice perch and call.