PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Canyon

John Blumenkamp
08-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I captured this earlier this summer along the rim trail near Sunset Point...

1DIV @ 116mm
1/50 f/11 iso200

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

John

Jay Gould
08-23-2011, 05:18 PM
John, a very nice Hoodoo shot with good lines.

Rachel Hollander
08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
John - I like the soft colors and lines of this. The trees on the diagonal corners add nicely to the comp.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
John,

Try the tweak below and see if you like it. Will knock back the brightness of the spires.

I would consider cloning out the upper right clipped trees. Other then that, well composed. Vertical was the way to go to accentuate those tall spires.

Highlight selection:

1) Channels palette.
2) Ctrl key and click the RGB channel. Photoshop will now create a feathered selection around highlight pixels in the image. Photoshop has selected pixels based on how bright they are. Pure white pixels are selected 100%. Pure black pixels are not selected and pixels falling in-between those two extremes are selected based on a percentage of how close they are to white.

Adjustment:

1) Go back to layer palette - you will see selection.
2) Create BG copy.
3) Create mask on the BG copy from the selection.
4) Selection is grayscale shaded.
5) Change blending mode to Multiply.
6) Adjust opacity.

Dave Mills
08-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi John, nicely handled comp with good advice by Robert. The lighting appears good bringing out the richness(glow) in the colors. Agree regarding the eviction of the clipped tree otherwise well handled...

John Blumenkamp
08-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks Robert... just read your reply and will take a look at this tonight. Appreciate you taking the time to provide the info!

Andrew McLachlan
08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi John, well composed image in very nice light.

Morkel Erasmus
08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I love seeing images of these parts of the USA...lovely light and effective composition John. Robert's suggestions will take it up a notch!