PDA

View Full Version : Science City

Rich Ikerd
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Science City, Haleakala, Hawai`i
D2X, 24-85mm

Looking behind you when visiting Haleakala for sunrise can also yield some nice images. This one could have been better, but the weather that morning (29F and 70MPH winds - not your typical Hawai`i :eek:) wasn't conducive for too much photography. But the sunrise was spectacular nonetheless.:) Cropped from a single horizontal (no way was I going to try for a mutli-image pano).

Roman Kurywczak
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Rich,
I like your crop choice. I think overall it lacks a little pop. You should try Robert Amoroso's USM trick on this one ( I believe Robert!!! :D) Filter - sharpen- unsharp mask- Amount 20-30, Radius around 30, Threshold ......start with zero and see if you like it.......or go up to 4. Each of the sliders can be played with a little but I guarantee..........the colors will pop. I'm going to put use a 3 stop grad ND filter in my signature soon :eek:.................but this is an easy fix in PS. Try it! I did and I love the results,
Roman
PS 29 is only cold for Floridians!

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Rich,

A good way to handle these types of scenes is as Roman suggested with the GND filter or set the camera to bracket two exposures. One for the sky and one for the ground. Then you can do a HDR conversion in PS and blend the two. I think I will have to create a tutorial on that.

Roman, yes put the 3 stop GND filter in your signature. The USM trick was something David Kennedy started advising people in the Pano forum to do. I already do it but was not recommending it. I don't use it much for birds - only if the image is flat - but for landscapes it's a nice process.