PDA

View Full Version : Same House, Different View

Jay Sheinfield
08-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I wanted a Storybook look to this image. I started with a base image removing a few telephone poles and few small distractions. I layered in Nik's Sunshine to help with drab lighting. From there to PS Simplify to get the level of detail desired. I added two layers of grunge work (Flux) at different capacities and some further light and color balancing. Comments welcome............

Brendan Dozier
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I think you achieved your goal of a storybook look, Jay. Very nice! I'm waiting for Peter the Rabbit to come hopping down the path! :bg3: Nice base image and really excellent touch applying the combined filters. Has nice softness to it. I like the vertical frame but am also wanting to see a bit more of the scene and landscape.

Yves Guillot
08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Not sure that I do understand the whole treatment process (in fact, sure that I don NOT understand it!) but I certainly love the end result! What a nice sweet look!

Jay Sheinfield
08-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Not sure that I do understand the whole treatment process (in fact, sure that I don NOT understand it!) but I certainly love the end result! What a nice sweet look!

Hi Yves, Thanks for the kind words.

I imported the original RAW file to Nikon's Capture NX2, which is where I generally do most of my work.

I used Nik's Sunshine filter with settings that would give more of a sense of brightness with bit more shadows than the original scene. It also lightens those areas of the house that were subdued. You kind of need to fool around with filter drop down menus to get the effect you are looking for.

Next I used NIK's Flux filter, with 2nd pull down menu setting to grunge it up a bit. This filter actually stretches pixels in a somewhat random way resulting in "sloppy" straight lines and features. It is a look I often used in this sort of style.

I imported the converted TIF file to CS5......

I then used Topaz Simplify to reduce some detail and give me a smoother look to the image. I used the OIL Painting preset and then did sliders to taste. I also did my cloning in this step of the unwanted features.

Now back to Capture NX2 for more grunge with Flux to further distort what Simplify did. Here I did selective area work only, since I didn't want the effect applied to the trees or some of the other vegetation. Mostly worked on the house.

Add in about a 6 layers of hand work in saturation, color balance, and light balancing for the effect I wanted.

I believe most or all of NIK's filters are available as Photoshop pluggins, so you should have access to all of these tools.

Hope this helps.......I realized that this particular workflow style is very subjective and depends on the look you are after, and of course, some experimenting. Give it a go, and see how you can transform an image. If you have any questions along the way.......here I am.:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I think you achieved your goal of a storybook look, Jay. Very nice! I'm waiting for Peter the Rabbit to come hopping down the path! :bg3: Nice base image and really excellent touch applying the combined filters. Has nice softness to it. I like the vertical frame but am also wanting to see a bit more of the scene and landscape.

Brendan, thanks. I think I see what you mean.......perhaps more canvass on the right would give a greater sense of the landscape. ....it is good food for thought. I'll wait for more feedback and get back to you......

Mitch Carucci
08-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I would like to live there...

Yves Guillot
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Yves, Thanks for the kind words.

I imported the original RAW file to Nikon's Capture NX2, which is where I generally do most of my work.

I used Nik's Sunshine filter with settings that would give more of a sense of brightness with bit more shadows than the original scene. It also lightens those areas of the house that were subdued. You kind of need to fool around with filter drop down menus to get the effect you are looking for.

Next I used NIK's Flux filter, with 2nd pull down menu setting to grunge it up a bit. This filter actually stretches pixels in a somewhat random way resulting in "sloppy" straight lines and features. It is a look I often used in this sort of style.

I imported the converted TIF file to CS5......

I then used Topaz Simplify to reduce some detail and give me a smoother look to the image. I used the OIL Painting preset and then did sliders to taste. I also did my cloning in this step of the unwanted features.

Now back to Capture NX2 for more grunge with Flux to further distort what Simplify did. Here I did selective area work only, since I didn't want the effect applied to the trees or some of the other vegetation. Mostly worked on the house.

Add in about a 6 layers of hand work in saturation, color balance, and light balancing for the effect I wanted.

I believe most or all of NIK's filters are available as Photoshop pluggins, so you should have access to all of these tools.

Hope this helps.......I realized that this particular workflow style is very subjective and depends on the look you are after, and of course, some experimenting. Give it a go, and see how you can transform an image. If you have any questions along the way.......here I am.:S3:

Thanks for all this information! I already have the niks filters but don't really use them... I do not know what is Topaz simplify but I see that many people seem to use it here in this forum : a search and discovery for me to do. But I feel that this OOTB forum is sparking some creative insights within me for the treatment of some shots. thansk agani and if I need more help I will let you know : thanks again!

John Storjohann
08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Jay, I'm a little late to the party, but I do like this image...the filtering work you've done is very effective...I have to agree that just a little bit more landscape on the right...so that the sidewalk isn't cutoff at the corner...and so the mountain in the BG isn't cut off so abruptly...would add a greater feeling of space and depth. The colors aren't as saturated in this one as they were in the previous post, but I'm actually like the more serene colors. You're developing a truly unique style to your work...and I'm liking it a lot. Well done!

Andrew McLachlan
08-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi Jay, lovely treatment. I like the layout of the elements. The pathway beside the house is nice, but I think I would add a touch of canvas to the right side so that the path is not clipped at the edge of the frame. Very nice work!

Jay Sheinfield
08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Seems unanimous, this is a start at more canvass. My eyes are getting a bit tired, so I'll probably have to do another pass in the a.m.

Susan Candelario
08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I am really enjoying these images and your style of pp them. Glad to see more canvas is on the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Kerry Perkins
08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Jay, two thumbs up on the repost - I was going to suggest the same thing... This is really a pretty image, and conveys the feeling of the area so well. Wonderful work with the filters.

Mitch, don't know where you live but you are so right! Silverton, Colorado is a lovely place to be. Just hope you like snow!

John Storjohann
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Jay, your repost is a vast improvement for me...it takes the image up another notch all together, and it was pretty darned good to begin with. Matte it. Frame it. Hang it on the wall. Very nicely done! :cheers:

Indranil Sircar
08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
This indeed is right out of the storybook! wonderful composition, Jay. Love the perspective, the colors and your processing. Another thumbs up for the repost.

Brendan Dozier
08-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Repost looks great, Jay! Nice work!

denise ippolito
08-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Jay, I like the repost and think that the processing is lovely. That tree near the chimney looks awesome.:S3:

Steve Adkins
08-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Jay, the repost is wonderful! Love the soft light and painterly details. Thanks for the processing details.