PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Ctenucha, Moth

Dave Leroy
08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks to Steve I have the correct name of this little moth. Here is a bit of a profile shot.
7D, 100mm macro plus 20mm ET, 1/400, f/8, Av at +1, ISP640.

Dave

John Storjohann
08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Dave a nice capture...I really like this image overall. If it were mine, I'd be tempted to lighten the wings, head and body just a smidge...and I'd be curious what a tighter crop, taking some off the top, might look like...cropping to just below the green color in the BG in the URC...but then again, I tend toward tight crops and this is just a matter of personal taste. Nicely done!

Dave Leroy
08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for taking the time John. You pointed out a couple things I had noticed and should have fixed up. Here is a repost which hopefully has been better done. It is such a learning experience.

Dave

Julie Kenward
08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I like the repost! If you want to go really tight, I think you could take the flower in the far lower corner out and cut that left side down even more. You caught some really beautiful details on this moth, Dave, nicely done!

Steve Maxson
08-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Dave. This is the pose I'm more accustomed to seeing with these moths. :S3: Nice sharpness and detail and I like the eye-level shooting angle. Both crops work for me - as would Jules' idea of cropping jut a bit more from the left. I like that the repost has better detail in the blacks and shadows. The colors seem a little muted to me, but that may be due to the light - you might experiment with an increase in saturation, though it's very easy to overdo the yellows. This is nicely done!

Ken Childs
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi Dave, I'm not trying to confuse the issue but this one looks like it could be a Yellow-collared Scape Moth. Is this the same moth that was in your previous shot?

I prefer the repost and Jules' crop suggestion sound good to me. I might even take a little off the top. IMHO, the colors in the repost look good as they are. You might take a stab at slightly lightening the eye, just enough so that you can clearly see that it's there.

Dave Leroy
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Just to confirm the correct name, as per Ken's ID, is Yellow-collared Scape Moth. BugGuide was very quick to get back with correct ID once I got around to sending them a photo. Lots of good info there and what i needed to have done first. Too bad I didn't really because in a Google Search I see this photo came up as Ctenucha virginia, which is quite close but not the same.

Dave