PDA

View Full Version : Tranquil Morning

Rachel Hollander
08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
The view in the other direction at the first (or maybe second) Vermillion Lakes, Banff, Canada. Taken shortly after sunrise. I liked the log and even have shots of just it but it may distract too much. Interested to hear what others think.

Canon 50D
16-35 @ 21mm
1/125
f10
ISO 400
HH, CP filter
Cropped from rhs slightly to remove unwanted foliage and shadow, curves and levels adjustments.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi Rachel, a beautiful scene. Good job on minimizing the cloudless sky and I like the log as an anchor in the lower left.

Dave Mills
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Rachel, Glad to see you looking for a foreground which at times can be elusive. I might tone down the log end a bit since it's the brightest area of the image and drawing the eye. Compositionally I might have added a bit more to the bottom(close to the edge if you count the reflection) Perhaps a bit more to the left also. This is one area I don't remember visiting...

Jerry van Dijk
08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi Rachel, I think the log adds interest to the image, but I would have placed it a little higher in the frame, around the LLC ROT hotspot.

John Blumenkamp
08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Rachel... I like this too, and think a slightly tighter crop with a little less sky and placing the rock a little more in the LLC might work. Looks like it was an awesome morning!

Rachel Hollander
08-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks Andrew, Dave, Jerry and John, much appreciated.

Dave - if you return to the Banff area, the Vermillion Lakes are worth a visit. They are off the Mt. Norquay road just before Hwy 1 when coming from town. There are 3 lakes and they are supposedly good for wildlife and birds especially at dawn and dusk (as with most locations) but except for a GBH and some gulls we struck out wildlife wise though the scenery and reflections were nice.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Jay Gould
08-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Rachael, this I like. The log is good anchor and the log line works well with the other compositional lines. This would be an easy image to add a bit of canvass at the bottom to give the roots more room. The roots ought to be at least at the 25% position. The colors and reflections works well. Good Morning to you; good night from me.

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Rachel,

Good recommendations on the composition above.

I recommend when confronted by such a subject, look for multiple compositions and multiple framing if the same composition. A bit loser framing here would have allowed you some leeway in a final crop in PS. I know many purist will bestow the virtue of making the composition perfect in the field. I believe if I have traveling to a far-off place, I am coverning my options. Besides, as you grow as a photographer, years from now your opinions on how something might be presented. Happens to me all the time.

An alternate composition I might have enjoyed here would be walking left and placing the log on the right side so the leading line caused by it pointed into the frame and the BG mountains.

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks Jay and Robert. I have a few more images from the same time so I can play with the comp a bit but unfortunately moving left would have meant a swim in what I am sure was very cold water. :S3:

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I think we are trading off locations Rachel. this is really nice, I trust you walked there :bg3: It's a great location and you have captured it well and nicely processed again. Don't suppose you saw any Beavers?

Will continue to look at these postings as it brings back so many great memories.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks Steve, stuck to the road and pullouts as it was our last morning and had to get to the airport. Didn't see any wildlife there except a few birds. Glad to be bringing back memories for you.

Rachel