PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 3 resizing for web question

Grant Atkinson
08-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. When using LR3 and exporting a file, with the intention of creating a jpg image for web usage, I am able to use the Quality Slider in the LR3 Export dialog box to govern the size of the processed jpg. When creating horizontal format jpgs of 800x533, we usually end up with the Quality slider somewhere in the middle of its range, when creating output jpegs of less than 200 Kb. However, when trying to create a VERTICAL image with the long side at 800px, and the short side at 533, seems I am unable to create an output jpg smaller than 200Kb as the program wont do it and gives a message to the effect that it cannot meet the size requirements. I don't use LR myself too much but I am trying to help out a colleague and fellow shooter that I work with in Botswana who uses LR 3 exclusively. Any shortcuts on how to create small, web sized vertical jpg in LR 3 would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Grant

Susan Candelario
08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi,
It was a known bug in versions prior to LR3.2 and has been fixed to some degree. After ver. 3.2 you are able to export but to the expense IMO of image quality. I believe it is adding a more aggressive amount of compression as a workaround. I would just advice him to make sure he has the latest update and try minimizing the embedded metadata during the export if that is an viable option for him.
HTH

Luis Villablanca
08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Interesting, I export from LR3 all the time and don't see this message. My settings are to save as jpeg with a limit of 200K and a resolution of 1024 by 800.
When saving a vertical image it will automatically pick 800 for the vertical side so I don't have to do anything special there.

Susan Candelario
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Interesting, I export from LR3 all the time and don't see this message. My settings are to save as jpeg with a limit of 200K and a resolution of 1024 by 800.
When saving a vertical image it will automatically pick 800 for the vertical side so I don't have to do anything special there.
Hi Luis,
I too have never had this issue with LR3 but have come across a number of other users that have. Go figure :2eyes2:

Grant Atkinson
08-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the information Susan and Luis
I have just checked and he has version 3.4.1 so I believe that is pretty much up to date. I will see if there is anything we can do regarding your suggestion of reducing embedded metadata and see if that helps.
thanks again...