PDA

View Full Version : Wahclella Falls

dankearl
08-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Another view from back a ways.
The first photo, I was on the other side of the log, balanced on the river rocks.
This scene has a lot of different looks to it.
The falls is a 60 foot drop for perspective.
Those are big rocks in the river.
This was sharpened only after downsizing (like all I do since I began downloading to BPN), and just a bit.
Only saved at 28% jpeg (I think BPN needs to allow a bigger file size), although it looks
satisfactory to me on the screen.
1/30
f3.5
iso200
10mm

DSC_0711nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99116&stc=1&d=1313976371)

Robert Amoruso
08-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Dan,

The three most interesting parts of this image are the falls and the two large rocks. As they are all basically in the center of the image, that makes it feel static and lacking drama. I assume the framing is due to the large log and convention wisdom is not to have strong lines leading out of an image. I feel here we cannot let that stop us from making a more aggressive crop. In the repost note that I placed the two large rocks in ROT power points. I like how the FG right rock points to the first boulder and then to the falls - a strong leading line made stronger by the crop IMO.

I sharpened more (over-sharpened acutally) to get better detail in the FG. The FG is not acceptably sharp due to the small aperture. A larger aperture is call for. Please post the camera and lens combination you are using as well. thanks for posting.

Dave Mills
08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Dan, I like how Robert cropped the image showing the ROT power points along with his explanation. Since this was shot awhile ago I'm sure you would have a different Fstop other than F3.5 now.
My eye gravitates to clean, simple images and in this case the log is a problem since it's breaking the flow and in some ways dividing the image. Not much you could have done about the log except get wet and work around it...

Rachel Hollander
08-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Dan - good points above by Robert and Dave, particularly about the comp. The scene is a bit busy and I'm sure it is difficult to decide how to frame it.

TFS,
Rachel