PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pad to make carrying a tripod easier

jahern
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I think I saw once a tripod accessory that might make carrying a tripod and lens easier in the field, but wonder did I imagine it!

It was kind of like the "Shoulder Saver Tripod Pad" that Art Morris sells on his site http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html, but this one sat horizontal a couple of inches below the base of the tripod so that you could carry the tripod as described as "shoulder perch method" on the website below.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/carrying-tripod.html

Does such an item exist and if so can you provide a link?

Cheers in advance.

John

Charles Glatzer
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
John,
You are correct!
You can purcase a shoulder saver tripod "Pod-Pad from 'birdsasart.com" .
They work! :)

Chas and Bob

Doug West
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd like the one Fab uses...autographed would be a bonus.

Doug

jahern
04-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks for responding guys, but don't know if that is what I saw before. The Pod-pad goes on the side of the tripod legs so the rests against the side of the shoulder. What I am thinking of is when the tripod is sitting on your shoulder with one leg out in front, the second straight behind and the third out to the side that you hold onto to balance the tripod. The pad I saw was in place under the base of the of the tripod so that it was sitting on your shoulder, not the tripod base.

Beginning to think it was the Pod-pad I saw and that I got it wrong!!

Alfred Forns
04-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Not sure I've ever seen one like that John but should be easy to construct

Carrying the tripod in that way needs some adjustments One is carrying a little higher so the back tripod leg won't hit yours. Doing so will have the pad away from your shoulder. I use this method for moving short distances.

Alan Melle
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Moose Peterson offers something like that. I haven't tried it myself but it's the only thing I know of that fits your description.

http://www.wrptradingpost.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WTP&Product_Code=WRPTriPad&Category_Code=WRPSpec

Erik Hagstrom
04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I have tried something similar to the Moose Peterson pad and found it not to be thick enough. Being on the thin side, I don't have much "natural" padding so the tripod legs quickly dig in to my shoulders or neck. Currently I have been experimenting with using one of those Gel filled bike seat covers. It offers a bit more comfort, but getting it to stay in place has been an issue.I do like how it conforms to whatever portion of my shoulder/neck I have it on. One down side, is it adds more weight to the whole set up.

David Kennedy
04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I'd like the one Fab uses...autographed would be a bonus.

Doug

The Bilge Buddy from Seattle Sports (http://www.kayakproshop.com/SeattleSp_BilgeBuddy.html) is your ticket, then! I call mine the "Fabs Pad" and it does work wonders!!!!

jahern
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks all for responding, I think I am going to go with some leg sleves and the pod pad from Mr Morris' site, I am planning to get a levelling base so carrying it the way I do will not be possible with that.

John

David Kennedy
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks all for responding, I think I am going to go with some leg sleves and the pod pad from Mr Morris' site, I am planning to get a levelling base so carrying it the way I do will not be possible with that.

John

John,
The sleeves are really great so I would definitely get a set from Artie. The pod pad is a little stiff and only works well when the legs are in a certain position. I have a "Bilge Buddy" like Fabs (see my post above) and it is way more comfortable, and is easily repositioned as it is not locked in place by Velcro. (My dad had one of the "Pod Pads" and I got him a Bilge Buddy for his birthday and he's not looking back!)
Also, a note about leveling bases: I own one for use in landscape photography with a ball head, but it's really not so useful in the fast-paced world of wildlife photography. It does not take very long to level the tripod legs in almost all wildlife conditions, unlike landscape, where you might find yourself in a precarious position on the side of a hill and cannot easily level off the legs without risking bodily harm.........:eek:

Alfred Forns
04-01-2008, 02:11 PM
John before you get the base try leveling the tripod on your own It is very easy and fast Will save you one pound !!!!

jahern
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I feel the levelling base might come in useful as there has been a few cases where I wanted to level the tripod head but using the legs is too slow or arkward.
Regarding levelling bases, Art Morris sells the Gitzo GS5120LVL Leveling Base but the other base I've seen is the Gitzo G1321 levelling base, anybody know the difference?

John

Jason Ambler
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
The Gitzo GS5120LVL Leveling Base is the newer version of the Gitzo G1321 leveling base. The new version has a shorter leveling center column and a rubber gasket instead of a cork gasket where the head attaches to the base. I believe all else is equal. You can find some relatively cheap G1321's in great condition if you have time to watch.

Jason

jahern
04-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Jason.