PDA

View Full Version : Lots of rain at Nickerson...

carole wiley
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
...makes for great pools on the beach this Saturday. The skimmers were skimming and the pools were still, making for nice reflections. Taken with the mark III, 70-300 f5.6 at 300, f5.6, 1/400 ISO 800. I hope you enjoy this one, I can't remember ever having a better time photographing then I did at Nickerson this weekend.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I see the beauty in nature when gazing at the picture and the peaceful moment you captured is perfect IMO.

allanrube
08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Great shot taking advantage of the smooth water!!

Rachel Hollander
08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Nicely done. Open beak is a plus.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I think the shot is really good.
A bit more SS and it would have been over the top.
The water is incredibly smooth, you could turn it upside down and hardly know it!

Randy Given
08-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I'd agree with the shutter speed faster, but it also may be compounded by shallower depth-of-field. Still, great photo!

Troy Lim
08-21-2011, 09:48 PM
I like this shot very much. Faster shutter or not, it is a matter of preference. I like to see motion.

Gordon McKechnie
08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Lovely capture. Sharp face, smooth water, open bill all great. My preference would also be for slightly faster shutter to reduce the wing blur a bit

Susan Candelario
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Carol,
I too love the pools at Nickerson when we get heavy rains. You captured a nice action shot of the Juvi. I like the sense of motion in the wings, the eye contact and the reflection. I looks to me like it needs a very slight CCW like 1 or 2º, but that is just be being very critical. It is indeed a Great Image all around. Glad to see you had a wonderful time with some fantastic images to toot. :5

Mark Schaefer
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Carol,
I too love the pools at Nickerson when we get heavy rains. You captured a nice action shot of the Juvi. I like the sense of motion in the wings, the eye contact and the reflection. I looks to me like it needs a very slight CCW like 1 or 2º, but that is just be being very critical. It is indeed a Great Image all around. Glad to see you had a wonderful time with some fantastic images to toot. :5

Actually, based on the reflections of the wing tips (shouldn't the tips line-up?), I would say it needs a couple degrees of CW rotation.

Just my two cents worth,
Mark.

Susan Candelario
08-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Actually, based on the reflections of the wing tips (shouldn't the tips line-up?), I would say it needs a couple degrees of CW rotation.

Just my two cents worth,
Mark.

Hi Mark,
Thanks, I sit corrected!

annmpacheco
08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Carol, what a beautiful capture of this young skimmer doing the skimming thing! I like the blur compared to the absolute stillness of the water. terrific. Sounds like a wonderful time for you.

Asta Tobiassen
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I love the way the beak is slicing through the mirror still water. The eye contact makes me feel like he knows I am watching. Very cool!

Kerry Perkins
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi Carole, really nice job with the classic skimmer shot! Nice and sharp where it needs to be and the blurred wings are a plus for me. Mark has it right about the rotation, the track in the water is deceiving, but the reflection never lies. :c3: By far the best way to find where "level" is in images like this is to line up elements in the reflection with their counterparts in the "real" image. Good work, is this a juvi?

carole wiley
08-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks all for your time with this. I will rotate 1-2 degrees CW. Yes Kerry, it is a juvi, the adults are very different and very spectacular.