PDA

View Full Version : the A.Adams look

Valerio Tarone
08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Please the prevous thread. my selfcritique: diagonal and converging lines, S shaped river in Lower are poit of strainght.
comments welcome.

Dave Mills
08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi Valerio, I like how you framed the image with the fog creating a mysterious mood. I was thinking about a bit more contrast but it could hurt the mood so I might try it and if it does I wouldn't do it.
I noticed what looks like a dust bunny in the water otherwise well handled!

Robert Amoruso
08-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Valerio,

Please post the equipment used to make the image and complete exposure information.

Overall, the image lacks contrast and detail. Though the low contrast can be said to invoke mood, here I feel a full range of gray is needed. This is want I did to the repost. Work done in Photoshop CS5

1) Levels correction - Shadows were well placed and not clipping. Highlights were adjusted to open up the higher 1/2 tonal scale.
2) Curves correction - Contrast added with a s-curve correction.
3) Large unnatural bright spot on image lower middle to left. I used the burn tool to even that out.
4) Removed dust.
5) Sharpened image.
6) Cropping. I cropped out a sliver on the right border to get rid of the small piece of vertical ridge.

I agree with Dave, well composed - just needed to get rid of the small piece of vertical ridge on right.

Valerio Tarone
08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Robert yes i see that's more sharp and contrasted. However I use N.C. and the book by j.P.Odell is the only way to understand a better use of p.p.
like we go to thesame goal in two different pathways.
for Roman: saturday night I made the first night photography. I'post when I'll have something better as composition. for me there are few occasions to do n.photography:living in a town,the country full of repetitors, cables.

Andrew McLachlan
08-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Valerio, very nicely framed! Robert's tweaks really make it work better. Nicely seen.

Roger Clark
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi Valerio,

While I like the mood of your original image, I do like Robert's repost, but only the lower half. I feel the bright sky at the upper left detracts and draws attention away from the scene. Perhaps a combination of the gray clouds with a little more contrast in the mountains would be a good balance and still keep the mood.
Nicely framed.

Roger

Valerio Tarone
08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks Andrew and Roger. A question to everyone; when you examine the photo do you also zoom to se the grain ?

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey Valerio,
I just returned from Tanzania. Nice to see you got the image posted and looking forward to the night images.......but as you will see, the city can make it difficult.

I like the repost as it gives more tonal range and agree the comp is good. I do see the grain but that could be from the mist too or high ISO.....so all the specs like SS, ISO, Camera, lens, and f-stop will help when we critique.....so post them when you get a chance.