PDA

View Full Version : Monks

Indranil Sircar
08-20-2011, 08:00 PM
This is the Phra Sri Ratana Chedi (or stupa) within Wat Phra Kaeo in Grand Palace complex, Bangkok. I took this image last December when I was visiting Bangkok. As I was composing, these two young Monks walked down the stairs and I got the image I was looking for! I had to do a bit of editing to cleanup other visitors. Applied pb/oil and then used a mask to bring back the sky and face of the monks. Hope you like it...

Maureen Allen
08-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Wow, Indranil! I like this a lot. The expressions on their faces are wonderful and I love the way you composed this. Just beautiful!

John Storjohann
08-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Indrani, nicely captured and nicely processed. I do find myself wishing for just a little breathing room at the bottom and the top...maybe one more step at the bottom, a little more of the that brilliant blue sky at the top...but that's a matter of personal taste. You did a great job evicting the presence of anyone else that may have been in the image..the colors are fantastic..and the presence (and expressions!) of the two young monks sends it over the top. Nicely done!:cheers:

Indranil Sircar
08-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Maureen, John, thank you very much for the comments. I appreciate it.

John, this is a full frame @17mm. This is a bit tight composition and here is another with a bit of added sky. I also fixed the skew on top of the dome but it also took away a bit from the right...

John Storjohann
08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi Indranil;

I like the additional sky at the top, but I like the original post, with both of the side turrets in place, even more. f you don't mind...and you probably already know how to do this!...what I would suggest is taking your crop tool...selecting the whole image...and dragging down the crop tool enough to add another step. Then, select the white canvas selected and choose Edit->Fill->Content Aware Fill. With the simple pattern and texture of the stone steps, it will probably do a wonderful job of creating the extra step...but it's your vision! Just a suggestion. The image obviously stands on it its own!

Indranil Sircar
08-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Hi John, Thanks. Here is the another repost with added steps and the restored right turrets....

John Storjohann
08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Indranil, I love the repost. It gives, IMHO, just that little extra bit of depth to the image...more room for the descending monks to move through the frame...very nicely done!! :cheers:

denise ippolito
08-21-2011, 01:06 PM
A wonderful image Indranil, it is now my favorite of yours! You processed this very well and the added space top and bottom really makes this one sing!:S3:

Andrew McLachlan
08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi Indranil, love the light filtering on this one. Very well done! It is beautiful!

Susan Candelario
08-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Indranil,
Well seen and pp. I like the colors and the comp in your OP with the added sky on top in your repost. Nice job!

Mitch Carucci
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Great pic, what else can you say?

Arthur Morris
08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes to the last repost. Love the bright colors, the image design, and the monks!

Brendan Dozier
08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
This is really a top class cultural image and composition, Indranil. It looks like it came from National Geographic. Wonderful brilliant color. Has a real crisp, vibrant clarity to it. Love how the monks are posed and positioned in frame, and I like how the temple is shaped like a giant bell.