PDA

View Full Version : Primordial

dankearl
08-20-2011, 07:16 PM
The dark, damp, Wahchella Falls in the Columbia Gorge.
Taken today, the hottest day of the year here and I went to cool off.
1/10
f8
iso200
Centerweighted metering (and I still had a hard time with this bright falls in the shade)
10mm
DSC_0708_2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99047&stc=1&d=1313885528)

Don Railton
08-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Hi Dan

Nice exposure and shutter speed...Water is realistic which is the look I prefer. Prime spot to visit in hot conditions no doubt and well captured. Does look a little over sharpened me, maybe not to others, we will see no doubt. I might also consider cropping a little from the left to put the falls in the upper LHS third as I think that foreground rock is just a little too dominant and without a lot of interest.

TFS

DON

Rachel Hollander
08-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Dan - fitting title. Good color of the greens and water and the ss works well. Looks like you handled the brightness of the water fairly well. I agree with Don about the large rock on the left sort of overshadowing the scene so I too would play with a crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Dave Mills
08-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi Dan, I've been to this location and it's an interesting place to shoot. In general I like how you framed the comp. Following Don's advice regarding a crop from the left would work well however you would severely clip the lower rock. IMO if that was done the smaller rock should be removed. The image does look a bit oversharpened but overall a good effort...

dankearl
08-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the comments, I can see the sharpening you are commenting on, I do not sharpen my Landscape photos at all, generally,
I am still getting the hang of downsizing the photos.
The tutorials all suggest some sharpening after downsizing, so I am trying to figure out how much.
I am getting much better with bird photos, but the Landscape ones have to be saved at such a small resolution (30) on this one,
that I probably just used too much (10 in NX2), I will back off some in the future.
As for the comp, I also wondered about the rock, I was as far out as I could get without getting in the stream, and it flows pretty
strong, even at this time of year.
I was hoping the flow over the falls was less, but it was the usually ripping, bright white flow.
It is a great place to photo, difficult lighting, a lot of different set-ups for a lot of different views.