PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Ps 5.1 and Mac Lion?

John Chardine
08-20-2011, 02:39 PM
I am now using this combo and am having a lot of trouble with cursors in Photoshop. I have set the Cursor preference to Full size brush tip but at certain zoom levels the cursor just looks like a pointer. When it looks like a pointer the effect of the tool on the image seems to be offset to the lower right from the cursor itself. As it stands right now Ps is virtually unusable. Any ideas?

John Chardine
08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
OK, I think I have answered my own question. The problem was caused by a funky brush that I had chosen from the default set. It looked like a standard round, soft brush but obviously wasn't. I loaded the "Round brushes with size" set and the problem seems to be gone.

I spoke too soon! Just checked and with a Round brush with size selected, a brush tool cursor behaves as expected at most image zoom levels but as soon as you get to 100% strange things happen. At zoom levels past 100% the cursor again behaves normally. Another weirdness is that there are certain brush sizes that cause the brush to jump on the screen (towards the upper left) with the brush effect staying where is was, i.e., not under the cursor any more.

I would be interested if anyone can duplicate this.

John Chardine
09-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Update- this is now a recognized bug and has been reported to Apple. Update 10.7.1 did not fix problem. Here's a link to the issue on photoshop.com:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/brushes_not_working_on_2011_macbook_air?utm_conten t=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

Hilary Hann
09-06-2011, 01:38 AM
John, I have just upgraded to Lion and to PS CS5.1 and have tried to duplicate the problem but it isn't happening for me (which is a good thing! :S3: ) I read the feedback site but have tried lots of different configurations to get the brushes to malfunction with no luck. I hope it is fixed for you soon. Having plenty of other issues though, some of which have no fixes apparently.........

Hilary Hann
09-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I just read on some more on the feedback site and noticed a comment that someone had a second monitor set up which solved the problem. I run 2 monitors so perhaps that's why I'm not having the brush issue. Not sure whether you are running one or two monitors John, but either way Apple and Adobe need to fix it.

John Chardine
09-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Thanks Hilary. I have not tried a second monitor yet. I think the problem is specific to Macbook Airs. Is that what you have?

Hilary Hann
09-06-2011, 04:47 AM
I hadn't picked up on the MBA being a common denominator as some respondents didn't mention their computer but re reading the comments it would appear to be part of the link.

I'm on an iMac so it may not have been a problem even without the 2 monitors. Not very useful if you're travelling, can't take a monitor with you!!! Let's hope they get it fixed soon.

John Chardine
12-31-2011, 04:00 PM
By way of an update I can report that the Photoshop brushes problem with Lion and Intel graphics such as in the Macbook Air and Mac mini is solved with Mac OS X 10.7.3. I installed a recent developer's build today and all is as it should be.