PDA

View Full Version : You gotta love Puffins!

Glenn Bartley
08-20-2011, 01:20 PM
These birds are crazy and so much fun to watch. I really wanted to get them on some interesting backgrounds. Light angles were a challenge and you have limited options from a cliff. So I waited for a bright overcast day to get after this one. I hope you enjoy it!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure compensation: -1/3
ISO: 800
Focal length: 500mm + 1.4x

Jeff Parker
08-20-2011, 01:50 PM
It looks like your strategy worked, nice background. The colors on the bill don't look as saturated as I'm used to seeing with puffins. Is it a breeding season thing or just the more muted light?

dankearl
08-20-2011, 02:24 PM
I like the head and the BG, a faster SS would have made it great, but it looks like you just didn't have the light.
A fine image though, wonderful birds.

Phil Ertel
08-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Hi Glenn,

I like the puffin against the green background. The composition is pleasing to me. I think the placement of the subject in frame is very effective as it provides the puffin space to fly into. The bird appears to be looking down so placing it in high in frame also provides space for the bird to look into. I don't mind the blur of the wing tips as the head appears to be sharp enough to make the image effective. Well done and tanks for sharing.