PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Embrace

jack williamson
08-20-2011, 10:51 AM
This was late in afternoon under the porch, the light was pretty low. I know it probably did'nt do much but I used the pop-up flash and a small led flashlight to try to illuminate these insects. This is a robber fly with some unfortunate prey. Nikon D700, 105 f2.5 micro, tripod. Adjusted wb, exp., and fill in acr. Small S/H, usm in cs3. Full Frame. 1/5 second f32, iso 320.

Dave Leroy
08-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Very well done especially considering the lighting. Nice profile on both insects and really nice dof. Lighting worked well and if anything I might add a bit of black to the blacks and perhaps red as well.
Dave

Brendan Dozier
08-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Very cool behavior capture, Jack, and nicely done. Nice IQ, sharpness, good suggestion by Dave regarding adding some to blacks. Nice work!

jack williamson
08-22-2011, 06:53 AM
I appreciate your reponses Dave and Brendan.

Jack

Steve Maxson
08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Jack. Robber flies are very interesting predators and you did a good job capturing this behavior - unfortunately for me, they don't seem to be very common up here. Based on the head shape, the prey item appears to be another type of fly. Your ad hoc lighting worked out quite well. Both insects are sharp and you have a clean background. I like Dave's suggestion about adding blacks to maybe give the image a little more punch. Very well done.

jack williamson
08-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Steve

Jack