PDA

View Full Version : A Painted Stork in a light drizzle

Shreeni Rao
08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
at Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Karnataka India from a kayak.

7D, 400/5.6L, Manual, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, Spot metering, ISO 500, AWB, AI Servo, Zone AF, Expanded AF points

Kerry Perkins
08-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Shreeni, nice to have another member of the 7D400 club. :c3: Exposure and color on the bird are very good, would have hoped for a slightly better head angle and a bit more sharpening. The biggest issue with this image is the background. The tree line intersecting the head, the bright sky, and the bird and tree in the bg all distract from the image. I would crop most of that empty space on the right, over to the tree (or whatever that is). Remember that the background is just as important as the subject in making a pleasing composition. I like the raindrops, just wish the whole background was green leaves without the sky.

John Chardine
08-20-2011, 03:43 PM
One of the most difficult things about wildlife photography in my opinion is getting the backgrounds right, out of the camera. It takes a lot of practise to concentrate not only on the subject but the background too. Make your eye wander around the viewfinder and really look at what is there. Always look for better framing opportunities by moving (side to side, up and down), zooming or waiting, depending on the circumstance.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Good comments above. Most of the time the background is just there, make it a priority. Plan the picture (to the extent possible) and remember the more distractions, often the weaker the image. The exception is including more natural habitat that complements the subject. You are on the right track just need to balance the frame and watch the surroundings, one of the main challenges for most bird photographers as well.

Shreeni Rao
08-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks all for the tips. In this case all I needed to do was to ask for a 'photographer's ride' and would have got a perfect 2 person boat ride and it seems the guide knows every perfect bend in the river with great background and single birds instead of a cluster of nesting birds. I just did not know this till I came back to the US :( Wish I can go back again !

Kerry : I have the weakest set of forearms and shooting on rocking canoe/yak did not help and this stork is a little OOF as a result I think :)

Kerry Perkins
08-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Shreeni, I understand completely! The 400mm f/5.6 is a very demanding lens - without IS the stability is left to the photographer, and I have issues with this myself. I think you did very well given the circumstances.

Rachel Hollander
08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Shreeni - Great colors and great advice above. It's really hard to remember all the advice in the field but it's well worth it.

TFS,
Rachel

wendell westfall
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Shreeni, above critiques cover it all, a different background is the key here . . .