PDA

View Full Version : Gemsbock

Lorant Voros
08-20-2011, 12:01 AM
I feel "homesick" for Africa these days. I hope I can get back there in theses coming years to feel the magic of the places. Here is a photo from Namibia from last year. Comments are welcome.

1DMKIII
500mm+1.4TC
ISO800
f:5.6
1/400

Robert Amoruso
08-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Lorant,

I like the different composition you have chosen here.

I would suggest the image is a bit flat and suggest two things.

1) Contrast boost in the shadows only. S-curve with shadows side pulled down and right, highlights left as is.
2) Luminosity Mask - Multiply Blend I described in you image in the Landscape forum. Steps below.

Highlight selection:

1) Channels palette.
2) Ctrl key and click the RGB channel. Photoshop will now create a feathered selection around highlight pixels in the image. Photoshop has selected pixels based on how bright they are. Pure white pixels are selected 100%. Pure black pixels are not selected and pixels falling in-between those two extremes are selected based on a percentage of how close they are to white.

Adjustment:

1) Go back to layer palette - you will see selection.
2) Create BG copy.
3) Create mask on the BG copy from the selection.
4) Selection is grayscale shaded.
5) Change blending mode to Multiply.
6) Adjust opacity.

Lorant Voros
08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Wow, Robert. That is a nice little trick. Thanks a lot for spending the time for this step by step little tutorial. Very helpful. By the way; I am on a tour with a show only having my laptop with me that isn't calibrated. I have the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display. Do you think would be accurate if I calibrate it?

Rachel Hollander
08-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Lorant - nice clean looking image. Good suggestions by Robert for improving it.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
08-29-2011, 04:04 AM
I need to get to Namibia again myself Lorant!
I like the central placement here, and feel Robert's suggestions if applied will lift this image...
:S3:
Was this in the Naukluft park?

Lorant Voros
09-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I need to get to Namibia again myself Lorant!
I like the central placement here, and feel Robert's suggestions if applied will lift this image...
:S3:
Was this in the Naukluft park?

Morkel,

It was the Klein Aus area where the wild horses are. Looking at my images from Africa and browsing through the posts of the wildlife forum makes me want to return to your area for sure. The Namibian trip was an unforgettable one and I hope I will be back there one day again.