PDA

View Full Version : Female Nighthawk

Steve Large
08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Here is something that you just don't see every day. This is a female Nighthawk resting on a fir tree branch. Nighthawks are usually very secretive and well camouflaged birds. They spend most of their time in the air feeding on insects at dusk or in the evening. Their feet are poorly developed for running or even crawling although they must come to the ground sometime in order to breed and raise their young. Their eggs are usually just laid on the bare ground and the chicks are hatched in that spot. The Night Hawk is not a hawk at all but a member of the "Whip-poor-will" or "Night Jar" family.

Stats: Canon 50D, 500mm F/4, ISO 400, F/8 at 1/60sec - Shot is uncropped at full frame.

Thanks for your comments,

Steve

Melissa Groo
08-19-2011, 07:20 PM
hi Steve. What a fantastic find. I think you did really well here. I am sure you will hear from the head angle police, but that wonderful eye seems to be looking right at you, and that helps a lot. WIsh for a little more room on top and below, and that the branch were in focus, but overall a great shot. I hope someday I get to see one in person myself.

Arthur Morris
08-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Love the dorsal view with all that feather detail. SH and EXP perfect. The HA is fine with this pose, however, you are busted for not going vertical....

Steve Large
08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Love the dorsal view with all that feather detail. SH and EXP perfect. The HA is fine with this pose, however, you are busted for not going vertical....

Hi Artie,
Thanks for your comment. It's a funny thing, you caught me there. Never even occured to me to go vertical. I was sitting at the edge of a 100 foot cliff shooting down to where the Nighthawk was about twenty feet below and trying to keep my balance at the time :t3.

Take care,

Steve

Steve Large
08-19-2011, 08:33 PM
hi Steve. What a fantastic find. I think you did really well here. I am sure you will hear from the head angle police, but that wonderful eye seems to be looking right at you, and that helps a lot. WIsh for a little more room on top and below, and that the branch were in focus, but overall a great shot. I hope someday I get to see one in person myself.
Hi Melissa,
Thanks for your comment. As Artie said it would have been better as a vertical shot. I am limited with the original as it is full frame. I might be able to rework it a bit and add some canvas at the top and bottom in photoshop.

Take care,

Steve

Steve Large
08-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi Guys,
Here is the re-post in more of a portrait style. Hope you like it.

Steve

Tony Whitehead
08-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Unique catch, Steve. Love those plumage textures and BG. Repost is a nice improvement.

Randy Stout
08-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Steve:

Just last night at dinner my family was looking at Sibley's ( got to do something while waiting for pizza!) and my wife commented about how unusual the nighthawks look and what a funny name for their family - Goatsuckers (Caprimulgidae)

I like the repost, much cleaner, bird works the frame diagonal well. The distinctive rectangular lid shape, long delicate wings, show well.

I grew up in Iowa, and have incredibly strong memories of their piercing call as they hawked for bugs in the twilight, over the open fields.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
08-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Hi Guys, Here is the re-post in more of a portrait style. Hope you like it. Steve

Compositionally, the repost is much stronger. Did you add canvas below or was it in the ORIG?

Steve Large
08-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Compositionally, the repost is much stronger. Did you add canvas below or was it in the ORIG?
Hi Artie,
Yes, I added some to the top and bottom. Had to extend the branches a bit as content aware fill just didn't cut it. Hope it doesn't look too phony.

Steve

Steve Large
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Steve:

Just last night at dinner my family was looking at Sibley's ( got to do something while waiting for pizza!) and my wife commented about how unusual the nighthawks look and what a funny name for their family - Goatsuckers (Caprimulgidae)

Hi Randy,
You can see why they would have a name like Goatsucker. When they open their mouth it's huge. Must be an adaptation for catching insects on the wing.

Steve

Steve Large
08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Unique catch, Steve. Love those plumage textures and BG. Repost is a nice improvement.
Hi Tony,
Thanks fot you comments. Had to add a bit of canvas to top and bottom as the original was full frame.

Steve