PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Dragonfly

Steve Maxson
08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I found this one in the archives. This is a Common Baskettail dragonfly (Epitheca cynosura) emerging from its larval skin. I cut the grass stem, put it in a small vase, and moved it to get a cleaner background and to get it out of the wind. 40D, Canon 180 mm macro, 1/6, f/13, ISO 320, natural light, tripod, mirror lock, cable release. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

christopher galeski
08-20-2011, 03:34 AM
nice clean image,like how the empty insect case,is still holding the green stem,well done.

John Storjohann
08-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Steve, this is a really nice capture of an emerging insect; I have to say, it looks painful! :e3 Wonderful detail in the grass stems...the lines draw your eye up through the image, and then the larval skin and the dragonfly bring it back down through the center to the subject...nicely done! You couldn't ask for a smoother background...and the slight gradients to the greens in the BG give it s sense of depth. Nicely done!:cheers:

Dave Leroy
08-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Excellent photo Steve and thanks for including the details of your efforts to get the shot.
It does look painful but body must be very soft and flexible at this stage.

Brendan Dozier
08-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Excellent IQ on this Steve, and great clear and close-up documentation of this very interesting behavior. Well done!

Roman Kurywczak
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Dang......Sweeeeeeeetttttt!!!:cheers::cheers::chee rs:

Ken Childs
09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey Steve, a great effort all the way 'round! The comp is perfect as is the BG. A Nice, story telling subject, too. Very well done! :cheers:

The only minor change I might make if this were mine would be to either lighten up some of the dark areas along the edge or maybe even them out with a light vignette.