PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron

Gayle Clement
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I was surprised to see several green herons in relatively open areas during a late afternoon visit to a local swamp. These birds usually hide from me.

Nikon D2Xs
Nikkor 500mm f/4
Nikkor 1.4 TC-EII
1/50s f/5.6 at 700.0mm iso250
Exposure + 1/3

Gus Cobos
03-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Very nice image gayle,
Love the composition, very nice mellow colors in the background, and love the detail on your bird.

Congrats...:D

Robert O'Toole
03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Sweet image Gayle. Love the Bg and the great plumage colors. Like to diagional comp also.

I think your image needs a little help to give the image more punch and richer colors. I used curves and masking to help. What do you think?

Robert

Axel Hildebrandt
03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I like the details, BG and composition. I'm not familiar with the light you had but it looks a bit flat on my monitor. Maybe a slight boost in contrast.

Robert Smith
03-31-2008, 05:10 PM
SWEET! Great to find a cooperative green heron in the open! Congrats on the capture. Well done on separating the bird from everything, and I like the diagonal perch. I like what Robert O'Toole did with it. I'd probably crop it just a tad tighter to get rid of the partial clump of Spanish moss - I think I'd either like the whole clump, matching clumps on either side as a kind of frame, or no moss?

Maxis Gamez
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Second pose really make this work! Excellent works Robert.

The details and excellent and so is the composition.

Gayle Clement
03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I initially did a linear curve but was afraid that the photo was too contrasty. I always deeply appreciate the feedback.

Andreas Kanon
03-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Very nice, I love the background which makes the bird stand out nicely. The repost is even better but a bit to saturated for my taste.

Robert O'Toole
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Gayle, You can alwys run an S-Curve on the mid tones only, selectively. I actually darkened the image in curves first than ran a light S-curve with a mask.

You didnt say if you like it? :)

Robert

Gayle Clement
03-31-2008, 07:40 PM
I always like and appreciate your advice, Robert :-) Actually I like the extra punch but with just a little less saturation.

Linda Robbins
03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Nice diagonal perch and pose. I like Robert's repost with more contrast, but would back down a bit on the saturation. Nice to get this shy bird out in the open. If this were mine, I would crop out the Spanish Moss in the upper left.

Glenn Bartley
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Really nice image. I agree with Linda re. processing.

Gayle Clement
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks again to everyone. I reprocessed this using Capture NX, using Robert's suggestion of a curve and Linda's of getting rid of the moss. It was hard to get rid of that moss, Linda.:)

Gyorgy Szimuly
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Very nice image and nits mentioned. I maybe would have gone for a vertical version.
The piece of vegetation (maybe moss) in the top left corner a bit bothers me. Looks not so native in this habitat this bird species is living - but I could be wrong.
Szimi