PDA

View Full Version : Gaur snorting

Sabyasachi Patra
08-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Gaur (Bos gaurus) snorting in Bandipur Tiger Reserve, India.

We don't see this too often. Most of the times when you reach close to a herd of gaur, they move away. This Gaur (Bos gaurus) approached our vehicle menacingly. From its swaying tail and pose, I knew it would come close but because of the size of the vehicle it will stop close by. I was using a wide angle to capture it. When I saw it snorting, I immediately picked up my backup Mark II with the 300mm and captured this. They blow air through their nostrils. I wish I had filmed it and recorded the sound. You can only do one thing at a time. :-(

In this case, I knew the snorting will be for a brief moment and after that the gaur will turn its head. So fired about 4 shots.

AJT Johnsingh mentions in his book Field Days:

"We did not see tahr that morning, but almost walked into a small group of gaur. We were just five meters from them, when the gaur snorted and ran from us.

This is the normal behaviour of this magnificent bovine, but at times, it can lead to near fatal or fatal encounters. RC Morris, who has written extensively about the gaur of the Biligirirangan hills at the southern end of the Eastern Ghats, reports that gaur, particularly a bull that has been harassed by a predator like a tiger, can be unpredictable and dangerous if a person carelessly approaches it on foot. The near-fatal encounter ERC Davidar, a leading naturalist from South India, had with a bull gaur in 1988 near Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary is worth mentioning. Davidar narrates this blood-chilling incident in his book Cheetal Walk. He had left home to investigate a fight that seemed to involve two large animals - possibly a tiger and sloth bears - when a bull gaur, perhaps alarmed by the contestants, attacked him. Badly mutilated, he crawled to a road bank where he was later picked up and taken to a hospital".

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 300mm F4 L IS USM, ISO 200, f4, 1/50, EV:+1/3, full frame image.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Stan Cunningham
08-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I like but too bad about the loss of dof towards the eyes, but it still has a good "feel" to it.
I also really like how much info you gave us on the species and it's background. Very appreciated.
Stan

Robert Amoruso
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Sabyasachi,

This is not working for me for two reasons: lack of depth of field and the vertical composition cutting off the horns.

Good head-on look and expression but low DOF is a big distraction IMO.

Rachel Hollander
08-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I too wish for more DOF and a little bit wider comp but thanks for the interesting info about the species.

Rachel

DanWalters
08-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Would like to see some more of the horns. And a smaller aperture would help sharpen the eyes.

Steve Canuel
08-21-2011, 10:26 AM
These are good looking animals and I like the look of his hair piece on this :bg3:. Wish for more DOF to get the eyes but I'm okay with the comp and cut off horns since I can still see the tips and get a sense of the curl.