PDA

View Full Version : Long-billed Curlew

Mike Milicia
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
EOS-1D Mk III, 500mm f/4 + 1.4x II, 1/640, f/5.6, ISO 800
About 75% of Full Frame

I found this while looking through some images from a March 2009 trip to Morro Bay, CA that I had never processed.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques!

Aidan Briggs
08-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Hey Mike, great low angle, soft light, and exposure. Morro Strand beach is a great place for curlews. Only thing that bothers me a little is the OOF wave line intersecting with the head. Overall an excellent image.

Bill Dix
08-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Sweet. Beautiful pose, colors, details. Can't imagine how you missed this one the first time through your files. You must have come back from that trip with lots of keepers.

Mitch Carucci
08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I have been looking for a curlew. Great pic!

Brendan Dozier
08-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Very nice low angle pose, Mike. Like the details, BG, and the soft light helps to bring out the fine and subtle feather markings.

Melissa Groo
08-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Mike, what a fantastic portrait of this curlew. Doesn't get much better. Love that we can see the feet and that lovely flat sandy surface. Details and light are just wonderful, as is comp.

gail bisson
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Stunning image ! Love everything about it-the IQ, the walking pose, the sand, the BG. Well done,
Gail

Michael Lotito
08-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Great subject and capture. The background and pose are wonderful!

Arthur Morris
08-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Beautiful light and striding pose. You forgot to tell them that in Morro Bay this species is a dirt bird :)

Grace Scalzo
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
What's a dirt bird? I like this image alot, striding pose and nice background complete it.

Mike Milicia
08-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Beautiful light and striding pose. You forgot to tell them that in Morro Bay this species is a dirt bird :)
Thanks, Artie!
Yes, I think Aidan understated it when he said that Morro Strand Beach is a "great place for Curlews". It's got to be one of the best, if not the very best place for photographing Curlews at the beach in winter.
Opportunities for images like this are a dime a dozen and all you have to do is go down to the beach! And it's also quite good for Marbled Godwits.

Mike Milicia
08-19-2011, 09:59 PM
What's a dirt bird? I like this image alot, striding pose and nice background complete it.
Thanks, Grace!

A "dirt bird" is a bird that is so common that birders pay no attention to it.
Sort of like Canada Geese in the Northeast ... ok, there are THAT many Curlews in Morro Bay but I think it would
be very unusual to visit the beach in the morning in winter and not see several of them.

Mike Milicia
08-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Sort of like Canada Geese in the Northeast ... ok, there are THAT many Curlews in Morro Bay but I think it would
be very unusual to visit the beach in the morning in winter and not see several of them.
Oops, that should read "there are not THAT many Curlews"

Arthur Morris
08-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Well covered above and yes, a bit of an exaggeration. But, Morro Bay is the best place in the world to photograph this species. You do however need a long lens as they are not dirt tame :)

Grace, I am sorry that I was unable to contribute anything more than what Clemens noted at the stuck tripod leg thread. Did you have any luck getting it apart?

Grace Scalzo
08-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Artie and Mike. Sure is an interesting looking species. Artie, appreciate your follow up. No, the leg is still quite stuck. For now, I'm just ignoring it as it does not affect the function, just my ability to take the thing apart and clean it.

Arthur Morris
08-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Grace. At some point, you may have to send it in. Lord, in the days of steel tripods I once sent three in to be fixed. They sent me a note after a year saying that they had simply put them all in the garbage.