PDA

View Full Version : Bass Rock Grey Seal

Jamie Douglas
08-17-2011, 09:36 PM
I wanted to post this and get people's feedback on the composition. Is the seal too small in the frame? This is a 85%ish crop from the original RAW file.

This fella popped his head up beside the boat while we were all photographing Gannets. I think I was the only one who spotted him and I couldnt resist getting a few images since the light was good and the sweet colour of the sea.

Techs: Canon7D, 400mm F5.6 @ F5.6, 1/500, ISO400, -1/3 handheld from a rocking boat.

C&C welcome and very much appreciated.

Jamie

Marina Scarr
08-17-2011, 10:20 PM
For me, the crop works. Considering how much you have cropped, you appear to have quite a bit of details. Love those whiskers and teeth.

Hilary Hann
08-18-2011, 03:12 AM
The composition gives the feeling of space and water (a good thing for a seal! :w3), not exactly sure how I would change things to make a more powerful image. Nice detail given the shooting situation.

Steve Kaluski
08-18-2011, 03:43 AM
I like the composition within the frame here Jamie and you did well considering the location and conditions. Certainly the position of the head instantly conveys that 'curious' nature of these animals. Not sure what the blue is coming through in the water around the seal, emphasis a bit more in my version as I dropped the exposure a fraction, but still evident in the OP, reflection of the boat hull?

Not sure if this adds anything or not to an alternative crop?

BTW Did you get onto Bass rock?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Jamie - the comp works for me and I like the whiskers and open mouth too. I know how hard it is to get good shots of bobbing seals from a bobbing boat.

TFS,
Rachel

Jamie Douglas
08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I like the composition within the frame here Jamie and you did well considering the location and conditions. Certainly the position of the head instantly conveys that 'curious' nature of these animals. Not sure what the blue is coming through in the water around the seal, emphasis a bit more in my version as I dropped the exposure a fraction, but still evident in the OP, reflection of the boat hull?

Not sure if this adds anything or not to an alternative crop?

BTW Did you get onto Bass rock?

TFS
Steve

I do like what you did with the repost Steve although I wish I got a bit more detail in the fur but from a bobbing boat I am pleased enough. I might be inclined to add a touch more to the bottom so let me go and have a play about. I do believe the blue reflection is the hull of the boat and the two white reflections are the seal's flippers.

Ah the famous Bass Rock. I am pleased to say that yes we did land but we only got on the island for 2hrs and by then the sun was up. For anyone going the sweetest spot for Gannets in flight is on the first bend in the stairs looking south just up from the "toilet spot". The vantage point was perfect at that spot as the gannets came hovering in over the rocks towards you. They don't let you stand on that part so I had to act quickly on my way back down from the taped off photo area. I got a lot of good luck that morning if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

DanWalters
08-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I do like the tighter crop. I also like the whiskers and the slightly open mouth.