PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Waterlily

Bob Miller
08-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. I like the flower but I am having trouble liking the way the lily pads look. Can't decide if thsi is a keeper! Any suggestions?
Nikon D3s
200-400 at 340mm
1/60 sec at f9
tripod
ISO200
Used topaz adjust to boost colors
All comments welcome!

John Storjohann
08-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Bob, in this case the pads aren't working for me...and I COMPLETELY understand why you were drawn to them! When I shoot water lilies, I'm often drawn to the pattern of pads, underwater stems, etc. to complete the image. If this image were mine, I'd evict the pad in the URC..evict the underwater stems...and tighten the crop, taking some from the top. I might even add a bit to the image on the RHS after that..putting the flower on the grid of thirds...and giving the image more of a long, lean composition...just thinking out loud! The vision is yours.

christopher galeski
08-18-2011, 07:54 AM
very nice plant Bob,I have not done many flower images,so can not say too much,but I too would clone out theTR lily pad.thanks.

Steve Maxson
08-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Bob. Before I read your description I was thinking - I really like the flower, but I'm not too fond of the way the pads are looking. :S3: I guess we were thinking along the same lines. I might suggest cropping from both right and left sides to make this a vertical featuring the flower. Then you might darken and clean up the water a little to further focus our attention on the flower. This has the makings of a very strong image.

Dave Leroy
08-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Lovely flower which really pops out. Good ideas already given and I would add that I like the look of curled up pad at bottom of flower and the one on left of stem as well.
Dave

Ken Childs
08-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Bob, before I read anything you or anyone else had to say about this image, I took a hard look and it turns out my thoughts agree with everyone else. I would have taken a shot exactly as you did, thinking that maybe the natural framing of the leaves would look nice but in this case, it just didn't work out. I think cropping in tight to a vertical with the flower would be the way to go but I'm betting you already have other shots like that. :S3: