PDA

View Full Version : Lewis River Falls, the full Monty

dankearl
08-17-2011, 05:43 PM
No trees in the way, the view most often photographed, so here is mine.
Again, the lighting was pretty bad, too much sun in the Northwest, we can't handle it!
1/15
22mm
iso100
f11

DSC_0534nx.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=98883&stc=1&d=1313620792)

Don Railton
08-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi Dan

I like this as well, but I think the one with the two fishermen in is the winner for me, but only just. The light may not have been optimum but I don't see any issues with it. My only suggestion, and this is based on what I have seen in the previous post is that it would be nice to complete the foreground pool, ie wider glass or mosaic to include the fishermen as I keep looking for them (and wishing I was there, with favorite fly rod etc..etc).

thanks for showing

DON

Dave Mills
08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Dan, I feel you controlled the light pretty well since I don't see any very hot areas. Most of the water has detail along with IMO an adequate base. You also have the option of cropping about half the backround to get the falls out of the center. I might also discard the foreground leaf on the left...

jack williamson
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I like this one too Dan, this is a gorgeous place and that water looks ice cold. The light looks fine to me.

Jack

Roger Clark
08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi Dan,

Very nice and interesting falls. I like the zoomed in version of your previous post, but I like the clean nature of this one better. So do you have one that is zoomed in without the branches? The reason I ask is I find the debris on the right distracting from the beauty of the falls. I think this could work nicely as a portrait mode too.

Which falls are these? Lower, middle or upper Lewis falls? I used to live in Seattle and did a lot of hiking around Mt St Helens and Spirit Lake before the eruption. But I have never visited these falls.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Dan - nice job with ss and the silky water, good color and you handled the light well. I agree about getting rid of the foliage along the bottom edge.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Roger, these are the Lower Falls, the best of the three I think and the most well known.
I probably should have cloned out the leaves, but they don't bother me.
Living in the Northwest, I am so used to looking through the trees that I really didn't notice them much
until it was pointed out here.
The falls are hard to get a good look at.
Typical Northwest, thick forest all around. I thought about wading out in the river, but then you just look up
at them and though it might be interesting, it is a big river so I thought otherwise.
I actually like the view through the trees the best, this one is the "classic" shot without the trees and the best
uncluttered view I could get.
I was using a 10-24, so was at the short end to get the best "clear view" I could get.
I had my tripod perched on the cliff bank, as far out as I could hold it.
edit,
Roger, I just realized you were talking about the big logs on the right side of the falls.
My wife thought I should not include them at the time as they bothered her,
I thought they were interesting. I can understand your critique, but I think it is amazing that
these huge trees get stacked like toothpicks on these rivers.

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
After the next big flow, you will have a completely different arrangement of trees to photograph.:2eyes2:

Andrew McLachlan
08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Dan, I really like this scene. It looks beautiful and you handled the situation very nicely. I do find the tress stacked up a little bothersome. Agree with Robert that it might be worth another visit after a good flow, perhaps spring thaw will knock those logs out of there.

Roger Clark
08-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'll visit the falls next time I am in the region.

Roger