View Full Version : Wind Turbines

Roy Priest
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Got this in my inbox today.

<tbody>
Wind Turbines Coming to South Texas Waters

</tbody>

<tbody>
PLEASE watch this short video! Deadline is August 17 to comment!

http://richardmoorenature.com/Article/1010361 (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=5a65ilcab&et=1107152998569&s=7994&e=0019K0mxVK1TZuzaMaOe9uDjrdECKYU4qc9FTdVpwdbOoZ1D p27Ylh3LaE3QxfiIrTHYaLR_DYfkzqaRL4IE83YhIsTmL4w-fmlZjEKZ75eVy_bFMd-byUWBW_KO19-1yLJ9vxnOPpKZGbsR2C-wTXFLg==)
In case you did not find the address here it is. A response will be sent back to you when they receive your comment. SEND YOUR COMMENT BY EMAIL
KEN

Jayson M. Hudson
Regulatory Branch CESWG-PE-RE
US Army Core of Engineers
P.O. Box 1229
Galveston, Texas 77551-1229
Regarding Project Application SWG 2011-00511-Baryonyx
Jayson.m.hudson@usace.army.mil (http://us.mc814.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Jayson.m.hudson@usace.army.mil)

</tbody>

FYI…sent earlier to day:

Dear Mr. Hudson,

Thanks you for the opportunity to comment on the wind farm proposed for the Gulf of Mexico near South Padre Island, Texas. I am a Research Scientist affiliated with the Canadian Circumpolar Institute at the University of Alberta in Edmonton Canada . My research focus is Arctic-nesting raptors including Peregrine Falcons. Our detailed research on peregrines on the breeding grounds has been on-going since 1980. We currently have 3 females that were previously on Padre Island breeding in 2 of our 3 study areas. In addition, more than 20 birds marked in the Arctic have been recaptured on either North or South Padre Island Thus, our breeding population of birds in Nunavut , Canada overlaps directly with the population that migrates through and winters on the barrier islands of the Texas Gulf . The same is true for peregrines that breed in Greenland , Alaska and other regions of Arctic Canada. In addition, millions of song and shore birds on which peregrines prey also migrate through South Padre Island .

It is now well established that intelligent location of wind farms outside of known migratory routes is the number one factor associated with reducing bird strikes from wind turbines. For the migrating birds that utilize the offshore waters of the Texas Gulf , the presence of a wind farm represents an incredibly poor choice.

I urge you to reconsider locating a wind farm in the Texas Gulf .
Alastair Franke

<tbody>

<tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>

"OkieHawkers" <okiehawkers@okfalconry.com>

FEEL FREE TO PASS THIS INFORMATION TO FALCONERS IN OTHER STATES. THE MORE LETTERS THE BETTER!
KEN

Dear Mr.. Hudson,

I wish to formally voice my opposition to the proposed wind farm in the Gulf of Mexico adjacent to South Padre Island, TX.

I am a biologist who has studied peregrine falcons in many parts of the world, including the past 29 years at Padre Island. Our studies there (begun in 1977) have recorded more than 41,000 sightings and 8,500 captures of peregrines in some 29,500 hours of effort. The peregrine was not long ago removed from the list of Threatened and Endangered Species, and Padre Island and its offshore waters are heavily used by individuals from the entire North American range of this species during the spring and fall migratory periods. The island also hosts winter resident peregrines and is the Western Hemisphere's only known staging area during spring migration.

Not only peregrines are at severe risk from the turbine blades of this proposed wind farm, but the many millions of migratory song and shore birds that use these critical migratory habitats each year. I honestly cannot think of many locations that would be a worse choice than this one you have given credence merely through serious consideration. This project is a very bad idea and I will oppose it in every venue possible should you decide to proceed.

Respectfully,

Michael A. Yates
Research Biologist and Director
Earthspan
2656 Wade St.
Minden, NV 89423
home/office: (775) 267-2257
cell: (775) 781-3844
fax: (775) 267-3652
myatesfalcon@gmail.com (http://us.mc814.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=myatesfalcon@gmail.com)

Dear Mr. Hudson,

I am aware of the wind power facility proposed near South Padre Island, Texas, in the Gulf of Mexico. And I wish to voice my opposition to this project.

Please know that I support new technologies being used for alternative energy production. Any method that harvests naturally occurring power sources (wind, solar, water, etc.) must be explored and exploited to its greatest potential. However, I also believe that energy production should not be at the cost of wildlife populations, especially our migrant birds, that also serve as national resources for multiple countries.

The key issue in this debate will be the proper siting of the wind facility. Wind farms and other power generation facilities have a poor record in this regard, with many receiving huge fines under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act for killing raptors, passerines and other birds. Large numbers of dead birds, and hefty fines leveled on the companies responsible for these deaths, can be avoided with forethought and planning.

In the big picture, coastal Texas is a poor choice for developing wind power generation facilities. Millions of birds pass through these waters on migration from the arctic to South America and back; countless other birds use this area for wintering and breeding habitats. The ravages of hurricanes, oils spills, habitat fragmentation, and urban sprawl further reduce the quality and quantity of waterways and shoreline habitats available to these birds and their many admirers.

Given that South Padre Island is the "hour glass" through which millions of North American birds must pass on migration, it makes no sense to build massive obstacles to their movements. In the balance is the very survival of tenuous species, like peregrine falcons, that have scratched their way back from the brink of extinction.

As a professional wildlife biologist, I have studied migrant raptors, including peregrine falcons, for the past three decades. And some of my work has been conducted on South Padre Island. Because the potential for both environmental damage and negative publicity from this project is real, I strongly recommend that this proposal be rejected.

Thank your for the opportunity to comment on this project.

Bruce Haak
Wildlife Biologist
2522 Park Lane
Eagle, ID 83616
(208) 939-0589 home
(208) 440-9098 cell
haaks@msn.com

South Padre Island, TX.

</okiehawkers@okfalconry.com>