PDA

View Full Version : Elegant Tern

Kerry Perkins
08-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Bolsa Chica, dawn, terns...

I hope I got my tern correctly identified, I think this is an Elegant Tern. Nothing like shooting terns to hone your BIF skills! Captured at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Southern California on the 4th of July. Just after dawn.

7D, EF400mm f/5.6L
Manual mode, f/5.6@1/1600 ISO 400 WB 5100K
AI Servo autofocus, hand-held no flash

jack williamson
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't know tern ID enough to comment on the name but whatever the name it is a beauty. I like the banking pose, the subtle tones of this bird, and the great BG. Well done.

Jack

Dawn Miller
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I am jealous. I have taken shots of Terns before and so I know how skillful this had to be. BIF is one of my favorite things. The sharpness of the eye, the sweep of each wing - both in good focus - is really good. I like the simple blurred background, too. Could you darken the background? It might make the whites pop, but you won't want to lose the black tips on the wings. Great shot!

annmpacheco
08-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Wonderful image with focus, pose, HA, and the BG is sweet. It looks clean and pleasing.
I notice the lens and would like to know your opinion and experience please. My only lens is the 100-400 and I think I could justify the purchase of the 400 5.6, as I save for the 500... Speed, more focus and even the weight, all seem inviting. Thanks

Kerry Perkins
08-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Wonderful image with focus, pose, HA, and the BG is sweet. It looks clean and pleasing.
I notice the lens and would like to know your opinion and experience please. My only lens is the 100-400 and I think I could justify the purchase of the 400 5.6, as I save for the 500... Speed, more focus and even the weight, all seem inviting. Thanks

Ann, my experience with this lens is that I love it! It is amazingly sharp, lightweight, and affordable. Focus is fast and quiet and the color and contrast are excellent. I contemplated the 100-400 at first, but realized that it would probably be used at the 400 end all the time for birds, so I went with the prime. Disadvantages are the loss of autofocus (on all but the 1D series) when using the teleconverters, no image stabilization, and the relatively low speed (aperture) of the lens. However, I have found that quite a lot can be done with this lens, especially in good light situations. If you would like to see a ton of sample images, just take a look at my web site and/or my BPN albums, which are linked at the bottom of my signature. I usually shoot with this lens wide open, at f/5.6, and ISO 400. With this combination I get decent DOF and good shutter speeds. What some might consider to be limitations of this lens, I find to be aids to my growth as a nature photographer because I am encouraged to get closer to my subjects, find the best light, and refine my shooting technique to lessen camera shake when shooting. I am also saving for the 500... :c3:

Thanks for comments all, much appreciated!

Jeff Cashdollar
08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Kerry - really like this one, especially the muted background. The bird is positioned perfect in the frame IMO and seems to be flowing with a great HA. Extended wings are sweet and love the soft colors. I enjoy the way you resist over saturating the image - strong picture.

Ann - the 400mm 5.6 prime is one of Arties favorite he called it his toy lens for years. I purchased one many years ago and love it. I often shoot it with the 7D and leverage the 1.6 crop factor. Very light and tac sharp. I had a 100-400 and traded it in on a MKIV. The retractable hood is convenient and the lens moves with the camera so well. I do not use a TC combination with this setup and shoot it wide open most of the time. when it comes to BIF it is perfect, for the price a great piece of glass.

annmpacheco
08-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys for the lens info. I'll spend more time enjoying reviews and what Artie has to say. I think it is a good choice for me right now as I continue to save for the big gun 500mm. If I stray off course monetarily too much then the 500 becomes more of a dream. Most of the time I am at 400mm on my 100-400 and it will be super to have sharpness; all in due time! Thanks

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
08-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Bolsa Chica, dawn, terns...

Bolsa Chica, dawn, terns... ah, nothing like it :S3:... Good show on this one! Looks like an elegant to me...

Cheers,

-Michael-