PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Timing is Everything I guess

Chris Harrison
08-16-2011, 06:31 PM
My first post here, so I thought I would contribute to the August theme.

This Great Blue Heron was posing nicely as we crept up in our boat near Celestun in the Yucatan and I focused and......darnit...now you strike?

I still like the shot for some odd reason.

http://www.pbase.com/sandboa/image/120834012.jpg

Probably a 60% crop.
Sony Alpha 700
Sony 100-400 SSM G @ 230mm
1/125th @ f/5.6 @ +1.0
ISO 400

Richard Stern
08-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your first post! I like the overall feel of motion here, and the water droplets and slight wing blur add to it. I think it would have been better if somehow the head could have been included - e.g. a fraction of a second beforehand. I have made a lot of images like that, as I'm sure others have, and I generally don't keep them, as they look like an attempt that hasn't quite worked. It would certainly work well as one of those ID quiz birds in a birding magazine! Anyway, keep 'em coming!

Richard

Daniel Cadieux
08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Welcome to BPN Chris, and I'm glad you decided to join in the fun of participating!

The image works well for the theme as it is an interesting pose. There is a bit of a flashed look, and the comp itself is rather busy IMO. Other than that I will agree with Richard...I find myself wanting to see a face.

Looking forward to more!:S3:

Randy Stout
08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Chris:

A big welcome to BPN, a great place to learn and grow as a bird photographer.

I agree with the thoughts from Daniel and Richard. I think this image could work as part of a series if you had the before and after images, to complete the action. I also have taken lots like this and don't think they make good stand alone shots.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy